Sticky hair

Questions and discussion on all things related to Busou Shinki & MMS toys.

Moderator: Caterwaul

star
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Ianeira

Sticky hair

Post by star » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:53 am

So it's been a while since I've posed a few of my girls but they've been sitting in a temperature controlled dry area not in the sun so I had assumed they were fine however I went to move some of the girls and noticed Tigris's hair was a bit sticky to the touch and Valona's pony tails will not come out nor will they move at all(they no longer rotate). Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? there are no other problems with any of my other shinki and it's only issues with the hair on Tigris and Valona. Any ideas?

I realize it's been a while since I was last here and I have a list of folks who dislike me but for the good of my girls, I'd love some advice

Stanisburgh
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 49

Re: Sticky hair

Post by Stanisburgh » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Warm dish soap and water solution soak for the sticky parts, try and dip valona's hair pieces in some hot water for a few seconds, pull them out, and then see if they'll come out.

You're seeing a plasticizer leak which will happen with any number of the older shinkis because of the soft plastic material that was used. Really no way around it but to wash it when it gets sticky.

star
Class S Shinki

Post by star » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:09 pm

thank you :D

and thank goodness it was that simple, I was worried I needed to care for my girls better, but I wasn't sure how since they're already dusted frequently and kept in a cool environment out of the sun lol

glad it's that simple XD I can just use the same procedure I use with my old paintbrushes then lol

Thank you again :D this should help me a lot, I will also check if any other parts in the boxes need this treatment then since most of my girls are unarmored(due to space lol)

star
Class S Shinki

Post by star » Wed May 22, 2019 11:47 pm

Update: So recently some of the faces have also been sweating as well as the sticky parts returning. I probably should have mentioned this a while ago but the initial solution didn't do much for the sweating faces...I'm pretty concerned at this point on what to do, maybe soak them longer? I've been trying to avoid rubbing them with things that could cause paint damage(tbh even lightly going over them with my thumb concerns me).

I was curious if anyone had any solutions and if maybe boxing up the sticky and sweaty plastic would help to prevent it for a longer duration. At this point in time, I just don't have the actual time to take them all apart and wash them regularly but I still want to do my best to maintain them.

Edit: as a note, I do keep them in a glass case, would giving them move air maybe help? I've seen a few posts suggesting this but I was unsure if the air was the enemy in this case since the case is not completely sealed and has some air flow still

Mad_Dog7
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by Mad_Dog7 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:46 pm

The only thing I can suggest is soaking a paper towel in warm dish soapy water, ringing/squeezing it out, and dabbing the faces until the stickiness is gone. :arnval:

star
Class S Shinki

Post by star » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:38 pm

ok, time for a final round with this before I part ways with some of my figures.

the upkeep is just proving more than I can handle in my current life and it's really unfortunate but it's just going to have to be.

I started this hobby around 2009 when I was just some dumb kid and I still feel attached to all of my girls so this isn't easy.

Thank you again for the tips, this will help a lot as I prep some of them for new homes that can give them the care they need.

quotemarks
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 8
MMS owned: 8
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Lirbiete

Post by quotemarks » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:41 am

I tried using some "liquid glass" nanomaterial to bind the PVC and seal in the plasticizer on my Arnval MKI and so far so good.

You'd recognise this nanomaterial as the liquid screen protector used for smartphone screens. Try to buy cheap or in bulk.
GNU Terry Pratchett