Major’s Random Rotoscopage.

For pictures & videos or created works such as Signatures, Avatars & Wallpapers.

Moderator: Chaos Incarnate

Major

Major’s Random Rotoscopage.

Post by Major » Sat May 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Is the term “rotoscoping” even in use, any more? Anyway, here’s Mao!

<s>N.B.: Mod, I’ve forgotten the “Jdm's” bit at the start of this thread’s name. Feel free to alter the title, in order to clarify things for board users.</s> Edit (17.05.09): Changed title (thanks, halconfenix!).

I started with a photo of Mao, then ramped the brightness right up and traced the basic outlines in black using M$ Paint. Once that was done, I loaded the image into The GIMP, then proceeded to lay shadows down using Free Select and a Brightness modifier of -76.0 (GIMP). Doing this multiple times gives the effect of multiple shadows.

And here’s one of Arnval holding a Pallet Gun belonging to one of my Evangelion figures. I had some trouble with her face, but it turned out reasonably okay in spite of that.

N.B. 2: These are two of my first attempts, so please be gentle!
Last edited by Major on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Shinkis owned: 32
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval

Re: Random Rotoscopage.

Post by halconfenix » Sat May 16, 2009 11:52 pm

AWESOME!!!!

doesnt look like made on Gimp but some professional 3D software!!! more amasing impossible!

10/10

and since it's your thread, you can easily edit the title yourself XD

Major

Re: Random Rotoscopage.

Post by Major » Sun May 17, 2009 10:31 am

halconfenix wrote:AWESOME!!!!
Thanks. :biggrin:
halconfenix wrote:doesnt look like made on Gimp but some professional 3D software!!!
That’s the cool thing about tracing from a photo—you get the added realism which comes from perspective-correct lines, but you keep the cleanness of line art. Then you can go to town with whatever shading or coloring you want.
halconfenix wrote:you can easily edit the title yourself XD
‘Tis done.

Major

Re: Jdm's Random Rotoscopage.

Post by Major » Mon May 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Here’s another one of Maochao. I think I’m starting to get the hang (after a fashion) of blocking in the shadows.
Last edited by Major on Tue May 19, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chaos Incarnate
Graphics Guru
Shinkis owned: 12
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf

Post by Chaos Incarnate » Tue May 19, 2009 3:15 am

That's pretty good stuff! Some people might complain that it's cheating, but don't let that stop you from doing your work.

Major

Post by Major » Tue May 19, 2009 4:36 am

Yeah, Chaos—some might. Way I see it, is that inkers do this kind of thing all the time and, since I’m deriving the line art by hand from my own photos (instead of having someone draw stuff for me), it’s all good. :P

Major

Post by Major » Tue May 19, 2009 9:06 am

Here’s one of Partio. I really like her color scheme. Image