Mobius Mod Labs

For pictures & videos or created works such as Signatures, Avatars & Wallpapers.

Moderator: Chaos Incarnate

Mobius
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 3
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Fliers~

Re: Mobius Mod Labs

Post by Mobius » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Klinkin wrote:Ah, the Hresvelgr. I actually just ordered one off Amazon; they might have a few more in stock. Slightly more expensive base price than HLJ, but free shipping more than makes up for it. My experience with the weapon unit I have is that the holes and pegs for them are slightly too small; Koto uses 3mm pegs, whereas the Shinki pegs have a total diameter of 1/8 inches, or about 3.125mm. It's close, but not close enough; 3mm polycap holes can take Shinki pegs without modification (this will stretch the cap, though), but you'd need to do a slight bit of work to get the pegs and holes to all match up.
OKay, so actually sounds like it takes a bit less work than what I have to do for Gunpla kits. Thanks Klinkin. Also, thanks Bang for linking me to those figures on fg.site.

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:45 pm

While I have been slowly working on Charlotte's Hresvelgr equipment, my Tempesta finally came in through the mail. I planned to paint her bluish-purple parts orange to make her pop out more, followed by giving her an MG Banshee and glow in the dark orange paint to make her light up. Upon seeing that she had a few visual defects (bad visible nubs, distinct specks/spots of purple on the main color), I decided to do a complete repaint of her, using a gloss black. At least this makes matching the Banshee's black to her easy.

I'm currently back to my shit phone camera, and it has the orange a little paler than it actually looks. I still got to fine out the details on the base body, let alone her equipment, but I wanna know what you think - is this good, or would it be better with a third color in there?
WIP - Body First Coat.jpg

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Okay, so between my paints being tsundere, waiting for the glow in the dark stuff to get here (and finding some issue with it), slicing my thumb open, having to find an alternative substitute for paint thinner and having no top coat/sealant at the moment, Yuliette took a while longer than I thought she would to get to this point.

A good amount of coats, lots of detail work and experimenting, and having to redo parts easily makes her the Shinki I've put the most hours into. Lynette just needed some detail for her parts and Charlotte's is more minor painting. SHE is a near full repaint.
Tempesta Repaint Day 4.jpg
And to think this is BEFORE the Banshee mod.
Yuliette Stand. Config. Base Coat.jpg
Still with the shitty phone camera.
While I do note that Yuliette's limbs are a bit stronger than Lynette (my vanilla Mk.2), she still has difficulty holding up that main rifle of hers. That kind of makes me worried for when I get the Banshee - I don't want to put too much weight on it.

I am fully aware that there's still some touchups I need to do on Yuliette (specfically the long engines) but I wanted to see how she looked with her standard stuff before I moved further ahead with the topcoat and the special effects.

Speaking of - the 'daytime invisible' glow in the dark paint I got from Glomania. It works, and it has a nice brilliant glow in its canister once exposed to fluorescent or better a blacklight, but it has a couple issues. The crystals in the paint give an odd feel to the plastic, which I don't mind too much, but it also doesn't do close to anything with one or two coats. Furthermore, the few spots that really glow so far from what I've experimented with are the bits where a lot has accumulated - and it starts obscuring the base color. Until I know how much I really need to get a solid glow, I'm going to err on the side of caution here.

Zenislez
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 12
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Erica, Tear, Riela

Post by Zenislez » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:51 am

She looks nice Mobius.

Personally, I'm not brave enough to even paint a girls base color and armor. I only dare to paint the gunpla addition XP.
"Motto Shiawase Ni Naru"

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Zenislez wrote:She looks nice Mobius.

Personally, I'm not brave enough to even paint a girls base color and armor. I only dare to paint the gunpla addition XP.
Aw, thanks. And honestly I'm not terribly fond of doing it myself, but between not really caring for her colorscheme, the bad nubs being sorely visible on her and having paint defects, this was one of the times where I felt that it was needed. Doesn't help I have shaky hands and only can do this by hand.

Either way, I'm honestly trying to decide if I want to get Banshee for her or not - part of me really thinks she's nice as she is.

Zenislez
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 12
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Erica, Tear, Riela

Post by Zenislez » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:03 am

To be honest Mobius, I think with her more profound orange (or gold? Can't see it properly) rather than black, in my opinion, she may good to go with Kyrios/Arios/Another one in 00 movie. You know, the one piloted by Allelujah/Hallelujah Haptism.

Sure, with Banshee, you get a nice claw and a nice rifle, but with the one I suggested (especially the movie version), you get more booster, more missiles, more sword like fang and more cannons.

In the end, up to you wether to make her faster and range oriented or go as melee overlord in the house.
"Motto Shiawase Ni Naru"

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Zenislez wrote:To be honest Mobius, I think with her more profound orange (or gold? Can't see it properly) rather than black, in my opinion, she may good to go with Kyrios/Arios/Another one in 00 movie. You know, the one piloted by Allelujah/Hallelujah Haptism.

Sure, with Banshee, you get a nice claw and a nice rifle, but with the one I suggested (especially the movie version), you get more booster, more missiles, more sword like fang and more cannons.

In the end, up to you wether to make her faster and range oriented or go as melee overlord in the house.
Actually, I was starting to consider that (and it's orange); particularly Harute, the movie one. Swordrifles that turn into scissors and two large cannons. Also for the claws (and more gun because who doesn't want more gun) I'm probably going to get it and Raphael. Cheaper, I can actually save Raphael's main body, and I can fit it all on her. And with that, she'd be good at both long and close range :P

I think I have my decision. Thanks for the tip man.

MrHolister
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Vitulus

Post by MrHolister » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Mobius wrote:Okay, so between my paints being tsundere, waiting for the glow in the dark stuff to get here (and finding some issue with it), slicing my thumb open, having to find an alternative substitute for paint thinner and having no top coat/sealant at the moment, Yuliette took a while longer than I thought she would to get to this point.

A good amount of coats, lots of detail work and experimenting, and having to redo parts easily makes her the Shinki I've put the most hours into. Lynette just needed some detail for her parts and Charlotte's is more minor painting. SHE is a near full repaint.
Tempesta Repaint Day 4.jpg
Yuliette Stand. Config. Base Coat.jpg
While I do note that Yuliette's limbs are a bit stronger than Lynette (my vanilla Mk.2), she still has difficulty holding up that main rifle of hers. That kind of makes me worried for when I get the Banshee - I don't want to put too much weight on it.

I am fully aware that there's still some touchups I need to do on Yuliette (specfically the long engines) but I wanted to see how she looked with her standard stuff before I moved further ahead with the topcoat and the special effects.

Speaking of - the 'daytime invisible' glow in the dark paint I got from Glomania. It works, and it has a nice brilliant glow in its canister once exposed to fluorescent or better a blacklight, but it has a couple issues. The crystals in the paint give an odd feel to the plastic, which I don't mind too much, but it also doesn't do close to anything with one or two coats. Furthermore, the few spots that really glow so far from what I've experimented with are the bits where a lot has accumulated - and it starts obscuring the base color. Until I know how much I really need to get a solid glow, I'm going to err on the side of caution here.
Nice!

I did the Glomania paint as well. I tried to get Red and I got some kind of pink crap that turns yellow at night. I also got non pigmented violet and aqua, which are cool, but... I'm having terrible results with almost ALL of the different ones I have been using. I recently did a glowing Kraang custom figure (tmnt 2012) and the glow effect looked cool at night, but during the day it looked like it had been ,...well,... um... covered in um... Elmers glue... yeah,... glue..

So let me know if you have any good luck with anything.
Shinkis for sale or trade!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2119

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:12 am

@Holister:

It would appear that the way to go for most of the glow in the dark stuff is to grab the pigmented color you want (not daytime invisible as we both seem to have). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure it'd get me better results.

Also, as far as glow in the dark colors go, red is the HARDEST one to work with, as it pretty much requires constant black/UV light hitting it. Orange isn't much better - I can get her glowing nice for a few minutes, but then she fades. I knew that going in, but I wasn't counting on the crappy 'daytime invisible' appearance.

As such I've kind of given up on the glow in the dark for now and have been in the process of putting Yuliette in a Windex bath so I can start over, this time with primer and everything.

Edit: Well, the sacrific-I mean equipment came in yesterday, about the same time Yuliette got done with her Windex bath. While I still don't have the primer or sealant coat, I went ahead and began modifications, wanting to test if everything would work, sand all the nubs down and what not so I can jump straight to priming when that stuff comes in.

As such, I present to you Yuliette's custom armor set, the Dominion equipment:
Yuliette - Type Dominon Equipment.jpg
Whereas I had to slaughter two 00 Raisers to make the backpack and one for the proper arm mods, the rest went almost without a hitch. Almost managed to put the rest of the two 0 Raisers onto her, but that meant putting Raphael's claws on her legs, which her thigh joints just can't hold. Speaking of - Raphael got off lucky - no modifications were needed for the claws to fit, so he gets to live. :)

RokuShinkiMaster
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 15
MMS owned: 21
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Raptias, Proxima,

Post by RokuShinkiMaster » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:12 am

WOW! I love your work! I especially Like the Natsume Body Color and the Charlotte 8.13.2013.JPG