Busou Shinki ep 10 Discussion - Santa brought us spoilers

For discussion of the Busou Shinki anime shorts and unofficial animation such as Plamoo's stop motion movies.

Moderator: Caterwaul

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Busou Shinki ep 10 Discussion - Santa brought us spoilers

Post by Caterwaul » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Santa didnt bring you an episode because he likes you. He just wanted your milk and cookies, and didnt want to owe you a favor. :tsugaru:

MrHolister
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Vitulus

Re: Busou Shinki ep 10 Discussion - Santa brought us spoiler

Post by MrHolister » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Is that Ines singing in the intro? Like the last few have had different individual characters singing solo? Or is it another character?
Shinkis for sale or trade!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2119

MrHolister
Class S Shinki

Post by MrHolister » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Also... was this episode EXTREMELY boring to anyone else? Or was it just me? I love the slice of life stuff and all,.. but seriously, let us have some action. Although Hina dressed as Rudolph was kinda cute.

Next episode looks promising.. I spy Valona and possibly a Mk 1 Strarf! YAY.. Maybe they will actually do something neat instead of kill themselves in an attempt to win praise with their master. Which, at this point, is really getting disturbing. I mean, all these side jobs and danger, just to get their master a pair of gloves? If I was him I would be locking my doors more...

Storm Wing
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 3
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Asuka

Post by Storm Wing » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Heh... What a coincidence ^_^ Episode 10 is about Xmas, i bet the subbed version will be out on December 9th, & i got a Xmas party for my cute little students @ December 9th.

@MrHolister: See the opening credits. Usually, try to spot the word Install X Dream, & pause that scene. Capture that pic & someone will recognize who's the singer ^_^
Cut! Cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut CUT!!
Spin the vermin, reverse the guilt. Reverse the birth, reverse the world. Spin spin spinspinspinSPIN~~~!

Adventwings
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
MMS owned: 2

Post by Adventwings » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:29 am

Sub's out, yo. Go get yourself an early Christmas present.

This episode was nice and calm compared to the more action-packed one we had last week. And I really love how our Hina took her job completely seriously. Lene being Lene, though... All I could do was laugh. The episode was a nice break for me to just sit back and laugh, reminding myself that this is a fun Shinki-centric Slice of Life and not a shonen fight series.

Also, who else could be this ep's singer but our cute santa Tsugaru...

...Wait- Hang on a sec. Mizuhashi Kaori? Oh, it's Ines. /derp

This ep raised an interesting limitation of Shinki technology. They're easily damaged by mishandling or plain rough-housing (Tsugaru broke her knee actuator while playing with the Doberman she visited the year before), they're vulnerable to adverse weather (even Arnval, an aerial combat shinki, had trouble flying while being pelted by snow) and they have a much lower operating limit than a typical human being. This throws back to the realities of Cooking with Shinkis back in Ep. 2 (Ms. Deep Fried, anyone?) and Ep. 5 with the quartet being stuck in the mountains getting to Okinawa.

The part where they all came down with a fever, though? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the implications and how you go about inducing a fever on what is essentially miniaturized robots.
<<Should you fail, try and try again.>>

Storm Wing
Class S Shinki
MMS owned: 3

Post by Storm Wing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:01 am

Adventwings wrote:who else could be this ep's singer but our cute santa Tsugaru...

...Wait- Hang on a sec. Mizuhashi Kaori? Oh, it's Ines. /derp
There you haev it.

Next episode, of course, Hina :D & (possibly) Strarf Bis / Mk 1, & Valona.

Just watched the subbed episode 9:
- Ines... Financial doesn't work THAT way ^^;;
- Lene... That's no Showbiz... ^^;;
- Warning: Shinki does NOT eat cake!
- Wait a sec... Does Tsugaru using "hammerspace" for ALL those gifts??
- And yes, a puppy would grew up so quickly over a year!!
- Spanner on work: Lene. For the bgm @ the snow scene XDDDDDDDDD
- Wow... That's so practical. All you have to do is scan & *ka-ching!*
- *ah-chooo!*
Cut! Cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut CUT!!
Spin the vermin, reverse the guilt. Reverse the birth, reverse the world. Spin spin spinspinspinSPIN~~~!

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Shinkis owned: 32
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval

Post by halconfenix » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:41 pm

MrHolister wrote:Next episode looks promising.. I spy Valona and possibly a Mk 1 Strarf! YAY.. Maybe they will actually do something neat instead of kill themselves in an attempt to win praise with their master. Which, at this point, is really getting disturbing. I mean, all these side jobs and danger, just to get their master a pair of gloves? If I was him I would be locking my doors more...
watched the subs... and i dont see in the preview a MK1 strarf anywhere... just valona and another MK2 strarf (the one from the 1st episode?)

that said i still hope to see both MK1 arnval and strarf in the anime....

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Post by Klinkin » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:21 pm

A somewhat interesting episode from a technical perspective; here's my thoughts:
- Not surprised that a dog can damage a Shinki. My dog used to chew on Legos, and those are pretty tough and still got shredded.
- Snowstorm scene shows the downside of the square-cube law; Shinkis are absurdly light compared to their surface area. Flying against wind is going to be that much harder for them. Not sure why the balloon worked, though; it's even worse on a surface area/weight ration. It should have acted as a giant sail and just been blown away. Honestly, the best idea would have been to have Hina just climb up and get it; the Devil armor's got big arms for a reason.
- Now for the fever: this actually makes...some sense. Assuming Shinki use liquid coolant (see Episode 9's thread for my thoughts on this), their coolant lines could very well freeze up (though you'd think that they'd have coolant that had some sort of antifreeze additive; maybe Rihito forgot to buy winter jelly cans?). Now, assuming there's a reservoir with extra space to stop the Shinkis from bursting like a car radiator filled with water in the middle of winter, a frozen coolant line can be fixed just by heating. Therefore, when a frozen line is detected, the system's answer might be to purposely run all components at some sort of high-activity idle to generate heat and thaw out the lines. The Shinki is put into hibernation for the duration to prevent damage to important systems. When they wake up, they're thirsty because the coolant may not have thawed evenly, so some was boiled off while other stubborn areas took longer to thaw. This isn't actually too different from the human body's natural fever response. As for the sneezing and headaches...well, the headache might be a built-in response to high temperatures (which means that a Shinki who spent too much time drinking expired coolant last night is going to wake up with a hangover from an overheating CPU). As for the sneezing, I'm just going to chalk it up to additional programming in Shinki firmware to make them more easily understood by humans. Especially since they're targeted towards children and people who aren't going to be completely tech-savvy, simulating cold symptoms is going to convey "Shinki is sick and needs to lie down and sleep for a while" than a pop-up message saying "Error 5T-726 Warning: Multiple low-temperature clogs in coolant system. Please consult page 554 of your Shinki's manual." I'm honestly seeing a lot of anthropomorphism in this series with the Shinkis; I'm wondering how much of it is just a natural consequence of sentience and how much is purposely programmed in to make Shinkis more appealing to humans.
- Shinkis can apparently hold money in an account of their own. The yen sign in the eyes seems like a very American touch to me.

As for how Rihito's Shinkis seem to be in life-and-death situations so often...chalk it up to their parents not being there. If they were children and Rihito was their older brother who was always at school and tended away from punishing them for doing stupid, reckless, dangerous things, you'd expect much the same result. Ann, being the oldest, is the most mature of the lot, but doesn't quite have the common sense she should, and Hina's programming package obviously didn't cover all the wacky hijinks the others can get into.

ArcticKitsune
Class S Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Renge & Kohiru

Post by ArcticKitsune » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:52 pm

I see this episode 10 being perfectly timed with Europe's Sinterklaas day on December 5th. Well, ep 10 did air on the 6th but still, I find it nicely timed with Europe's festivities ^_^.

As for Tsugaru, nice. All so happy and merry she be. Ann also looks quite adorable in that Santa outfit heh. "I AM SANTA!" shouting contest. I actually enjoyed this episode and liked it how Shinkis are like credit cards as well. Guys remember that virus talk? This is why....This is why people make viruses for Shinkis....I hope they at least have an insanely strong firewall an security programs to protect all those private information.

---

- Shinki Cold:
As for the whole Shinki cold boils down to mine and Sonja's discussion & theory of Shinkis simply protecting their CSC, circuits, hardware and software stuff. They're protecting it either from moisture or the Shinki body suffering extreme coldness causing the system to go into "stand-by sleep mode" as to not cause the stress. Also add in how Shinkis are programmed to behave like humans and you got Shinkis sneezing like humans to be noticed much more clearly by their Masters, no matter the age or their spacial awareness. Noticed how Ann dropped on the cradle? System is trying to reduce the stress by keeping the Shinki on the cradle. The system is using a basic form of "paralyzation" in a "cute" cold way for the Master to notice. They went in weather they weren't really designed for all because Ann didn't pay that bit of attention while being harassed by that snowstorm causing their circuits to freeze.

*Note: Ya, I know we're over-thinking this but we love Shinkis and this is what we do. We try to give logical reason to all heh.

I noticed similar things when I was reviewing Mizuki MK.II on the balcony during the winter season, without the whole hardware electrical stuff sadly. Her parts kept shrinking and she just didn't fair all that well to the cold in general. I bet with the heat a real Shinki makes with the circuits they could at least stay warm for a little while longer. This also makes me wonder how much a Master puts into repairing their shinkis during tournaments and basic "arcade" battles from all the damages caused and gained along with basic weather damages from generic use. Is it "on the house" or do they really pay at the Shinki center? Tsubasa paid for Tempesta's repair.

---

Konami now needs to make a "Shinki - Type Snow" to fit winter battlefields, or a similar type of Shinki. If not them then I'll stare at you folks while I also ponder one up. Every Japanese Animefied figure and such isn't suitable for simple winter.

MrHolister
Class S Shinki

Post by MrHolister » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:12 am

Klinkin wrote: As for the sneezing, I'm just going to chalk it up to additional programming in Shinki firmware to make them more easily understood by humans. Especially since they're targeted towards children and people who aren't going to be completely tech-savvy, simulating cold symptoms is going to convey "Shinki is sick and needs to lie down and sleep for a while" than a pop-up message saying "Error 5T-726 Warning: Multiple low-temperature clogs in coolant system. Please consult page 554 of your Shinki's manual." I'm honestly seeing a lot of anthropomorphism in this series with the Shinkis; I'm wondering how much of it is just a natural consequence of sentience and how much is purposely programmed in to make Shinkis more appealing to humans.
I thought about this as well. We ourselves get fevers when we are fighting infection, get tired when we need to recuperate, etc.. Our bodies protect our vital systems in those ways so it would be clever to mimic that in robot form.