Mobius Mod Labs

For pictures & videos or created works such as Signatures, Avatars & Wallpapers.

Moderator: Chaos Incarnate

Mobius
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 3
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Fliers~

Mobius Mod Labs

Post by Mobius » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 am

(Personally I blame ZeroEdge for my urge to modify stuff :P)

Anyway, I've decided to take the dive into modifications for Shinki - yes, my ultimate goal is to start making my original designs, but that is a way off IMO. I'm decent at building models, I've had years of experience with that, but I've never gotten paint to be as even as I see others get it to be. Then again, I'm using small model paintbrushes.

Completed Projects:

Charlotte Hyperion: My shot at learning/mimicking ZeroEdge's method of using Gunpla for Shinki parts, using the HG Hyperion Gundam in this case, possibly the HG Serpent's boosters as well. Gave up on the boosters for the time being due to lacking a proper peg-type piece for them. Either way, the intended form is complete.

Ongoing Projects:

Natsume Recolor: I like Juvsiy's design, just not the colors and the weird plant weapons. I know I'm going to paint the hair red, possibly giving her pink tips. The body I'm pondering on. I don't have her yet, but given everything, I will get her. And she has a name - Natsume~

Cradle: I got my hands on some DAS modeling material, the stuff I'm using for Charlotte Hyperion and probably for Reborns, and I got enough of it to undertake such a project.

Planned Projects:
Reborns Charlotte: Wanting to use the HG Reborns Gundam as an armor set for Charlotte - my Arnval - and essentially what the Hyperion wound up being practice for. Debating how to work the Twin Drives, if they go on the arms or somewhere else.

Lightbox: Need one for taking pictures, and just using my old Gunpla boxes as is isn't going to work.

Long-Term Projects:
Original Shinki: The big one, and one I'm pretty much hellbent on doing. I will make this happen, come hell or high water. First I need to get all the supplies practice with resin and removing/inserting rivets, which Juvsiy may (probably) volunteer for. If I can find other kinds of plastic or methods, I'll give that a shot.

Toolkit: Screwdrivers, various files, model glue, Tamiya and Model Master paints, various paintbrushes, paint primer and topcoats, clippers, model knife (don't know how to use), crappy cellphone camera.
Last edited by Mobius on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Re: Mobius Mod Labs

Post by Mobius » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:57 am

I apologize for the crappy camera in advance
Charlotte Hyperion WIP 1.jpg
This was the last photo I took yesterday - Hyperion's legs got modified, and I was busy trying to get the pegs done right. Since then, the clay on the exterior and top of the thighs has been cleaned off, and the left arm is complete with shield - the pegs are still giving me a bit of trouble, and I don't think adding more clay is a good idea at this point.

ZeroEdge
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
MMS owned: 11
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Noire, Ayu and Yuuko

Post by ZeroEdge » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Thigh joints loose? I usually swirl around a tiny bit of superglue inside the hole to fix that. Just be careful not to add too much or you'll be sanding it back if it get too tight (happened to me back when I was modding the Unicorn legs for Noir).

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:37 pm

ZeroEdge wrote:Thigh joints loose? I usually swirl around a tiny bit of superglue inside the hole to fix that. Just be careful not to add too much or you'll be sanding it back if it get too tight (happened to me back when I was modding the Unicorn legs for Noir).
I assume using a tiny amount and just coating the walls will do it? Alright, thanks for the advice, senpai :P I know I got one of the thigh joints working fine with puddy, but I might as well give it a shot.

MrHolister
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Vitulus

Post by MrHolister » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:31 am

I will throw out some advice if you are interested. Shinki parts LOVE vinyl dye. It is usually for vehicle interiors and stuff,.. but it works awesome for our plastic. It doesn't just coat the part, it stains it. Really deep transformation. My Juvisy armor is sporting a charcoal matte finish that is just vinyl dye. Also, since it is a stain, it doesn't scratch off. There are a ton of colors too..
Shinkis for sale or trade!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2119

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:08 am

MrHolister wrote:I will throw out some advice if you are interested. Shinki parts LOVE vinyl dye. It is usually for vehicle interiors and stuff,.. but it works awesome for our plastic. It doesn't just coat the part, it stains it. Really deep transformation. My Juvisy armor is sporting a charcoal matte finish that is just vinyl dye. Also, since it is a stain, it doesn't scratch off. There are a ton of colors too..
Thanks for the tip man! And I have more (crap) pictures from my phone!
Charlotte - Outside Library.jpg
Charlotte wanted to take a break from modding and come with me for a walk - we stopped at the library to rest (and take a quick drink). Now, how is she getting around?
Charlotte - Pocket.jpg
The wonders of having an oilskin duster - my internal pockets are kept dry and just the right size for her.

After that jaunt, we came back home and after a few hours, we finished the real physical part of the modifications!
Charlotte Hyperion - Dim.jpg
ZeroEdge - I must thank you for that advice regarding the glue, it works nicely. I just have to tinker with it more. As for accessories, Charlotte can hold the knives, machine gun and beam shield just fine, and she has nice balance. I also like how the Hyperion colors seem to fit her - after all she is mostly white. May paint the red wrist part yellow when we work on the detailing tomorrow. She's tired from today though, so I'm letting her rest in her rough Cradle - that picture comes tomorrow :)

Adventwings
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Asuka

Post by Adventwings » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:31 am

She's suiting up really nice. Good luck on your project! :)
<<Should you fail, try and try again.>>

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Adventwings wrote:She's suiting up really nice. Good luck on your project! :)
Thanks, appreciate it a lot!
Charlotte Hyperion - In Cradle 2.jpg
And here she is waking up in her rough Cradle - she just fell right to sleep last night, even though she was in armor. As you can see, that Cradle is still a work in progress - it's not even entirely dry yet. Once it is, I'm going to start shaving and sanding away until it starts looking nice, then comes the paint.

Edit: And after some more experimenting, we almost had a new flight pack for Charlotte...
Charlotte Hyperion with Serpent Parts.jpg
Charlotte, ready for battle...
Charlotte Hyperion with Serpent Rear.jpg
...but not a fan of how this makes her look :P
Why is it almost? Well, as I tried to take the flight pack off, the connector I used for it - one of the connectors for the Master Grade Sinanju's shield - wanted to stay on tight, ripping it from the rest of the set up. So I have to figure something else out - preferably without needing the back piece.

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Well, since Animeruko was interested in seeing it, and it is a hobby that I tend to still do at times, here's some old CGI robot models I've made.

I use a freeware program for beginners called DoGA, it's a Japanese product so you'll have to do a bit of research learning how to install it. I personally use L3 with the parts expansion, so as far as I know, I have the most up to date program.
Eldritch MG Final.PNG
Eldritch - my 'heavy mech' design, taking hints from such machines as The-O from Zeta Gundam and the Alteisen from Super Robot Wars. It's designed as a massive armored beast, compensating for weight with over a hundred different thrusters meant for maximum maneuvering in close range combat. This particular rendition is the newest one, borrowing from the Master Grade 'inner frame' concept seen on that line of Gundam models. In total, this monstrosity is about fifty seven thousand polygons. My computer can barely handle sixty thousand.
Paradisio II MS verDA.PNG
Paradiso - my first true 'transforming' mecha, and the base of the one I'm doing for a competition at Gundamstoreandmore. Paradiso was also the last original mech series I designed, and as one can tell from Eldritch, it's gone in a completely different style. For this one, I took influence from the Orbital Frames from Zone of the Enders (hence no 'feet'), and the Tactical Surface Fighters from the MuvLuv franchise. Granted, this machine is only at twenty six thousand polygons, but that's also due to how bare-bones it is, and being a transformer, this is essentially 'half' of the product.
Paradisio II Flight.PNG
Paradiso - Flight Mode - The transformed version of Paradiso, utilizing an oddball reconfiguration. The heavy weapon (the charged particle cannon) forms the nose along with the chest, which rolls down and links with the waist while the arms fold in. The skirt armor is all lifted up to horizontal angles, forming the intake vents, wings, elevators and rudders, while the legs point all the way back, acting as the engines.

Shikaze
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 9
MMS owned: 9
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf

Post by Shikaze » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:42 am

Ever seen/played Demonbane ? Cause your models would fit right in in this verse.