Backgrounds? and other inquiries before I begin.

For Manga & Photocomics including Busou Shinki & Other MMS toys.

Moderators: Chaos Incarnate, puppylove

OHWceta
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 9
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Masurao

Backgrounds? and other inquiries before I begin.

Post by OHWceta » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Ok, so I'm wanting to start a Photocomic.

My first question is, if I use images for backgrounds are there any rules to it? like posting links of where I found it, ect? I'd rather not have my room as the BG of every shot.

Next question, is it better to make a purely comical Photocomic with no real order of things? or a kinda serious (still having jokes and stuff though, can't be 100% serious)one with a linear plot?
Like to RP? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome. If we don't have something you like feel free to add it.

http://roleplayparadiseii.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Xehn
Kamen Adminder
Shinkis owned: 33
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio

Re: Backgrounds? and other inquiries before I begin.

Post by Xehn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Just make something you enjoy making. I wanted mine to be a linear, story-based one, but as time goes on I've found it harder to stick to that plan, and enjoy doing one-off gags (like my 'toaster hunting' strip).

OHWceta
Class S Shinki

Post by OHWceta » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 pm

What about backgrounds?
Like to RP? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome. If we don't have something you like feel free to add it.

Argroh Valdios
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 3
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Werkstra

Post by Argroh Valdios » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:16 pm

Eh, the majroity of us just use a table, no real backgrounds needed.

Benio
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 61

Post by Benio » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:21 pm

OHWceta wrote:Ok, so I'm wanting to start a Photocomic.

My first question is, if I use images for backgrounds are there any rules to it? like posting links of where I found it, ect? I'd rather not have my room as the BG of every shot.
Technically, you should give credit to whomever took the picture and should ask for their permission to use it. One problem with using various backgrounds and then photoshopping the figures into the picture is that it is a pretty time consuming process. That is why many photocomic artists make sets or backdrops for their shots. Even by using a simple black drop cloth and good lighting you can make a good looking comic.
Another thing to be aware of is when you photograph your figures and then photoshop them in to a picture background, the lighting may be off and it might look "fake" or "superimposed".
OHWceta wrote: Next question, is it better to make a purely comical Photocomic with no real order of things? or a kinda serious (still having jokes and stuff though, can't be 100% serious)one with a linear plot?
Either type is no better than the other. It is usually easier to create the comedic shorts because the story lines are generally shorter but they do have to be funny to be successful. On the other hand the serious ones can be quite engaging and having a long, well thought out story with "cliffhangers" to keep the audience interested can be fun to create as well. Only problem is sometimes the photo comic artist can get get sidetracked with real life or bored of the story and the audience is left "hanging". Since you are new at this write up some of both. Make say 5 or so comedic shorts and a small serious story (the length of the story from beginning to end in five pages) and see which type you prefer making.

Xehn
Kamen Adminder
Shinkis owned: 33
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio

Post by Xehn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Well, I'm too lazy to deal with making sets. My house *is* my set. =\ Some of the comics here use a 'stage' made up of the styrofoam that electronics are packed in.

OHWceta
Class S Shinki

Post by OHWceta » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:32 pm

I just think that it'd be more interesting to have like a city backdrop if they're supposed to be in a city instead of it being my room. Kinda like if the figures were "actors" in a play and the BG is just a flat object rolled behind them to show location. (My brother can throw them on a BG in about as much time as it takes me to resize the photos so they fit onscreen, and it wouldn't take any longer than adding special effects to the images)

I'm an absolutely DREADFUL comedian, and my jokes generally only have me laughing, nobody else.....

Though I was kinda going off a RvB kinda thing where it starts off as some random comic shorts but slowly the characters get drawn into something far more epic.

royalpain88
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by royalpain88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:55 am

I have not made my own photocomic due to SEVERAL constraints but as a writer, use what you have. DO what you can do and develop those skills. I plan on using lego's as my scenery but that's just me. Everyone else is using their house.

But, do stick so a plan that is flexible and allows room for improvement like a script of some sort. Plan out your photo's you want to take as to best visual help describe a scene. Like low angles looking up for dramatic shots, wide angle shots for either group scenes or large battle scenes. Know what I mean, right?

As for me, I am gathering funds to buy some ANCIENT figures to go with my photo comic and time.
Gentlemen do prefer blonde's.

OHWceta
Class S Shinki

Post by OHWceta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 am

Ancient as in a line of figures representing ancient character or ancient as in old figures like from the 80's?
I have TONS of old figures, I'm a horder, I'll be using loads of the original Bandai DBZ figures, though early 90's is about as far back as I go toy wise (I do have the ORIGINAL power ranger command center to use as a location prop.) Oh, and my 1986 Transformers Broadside figure.

But like for a battle underwater I'll need a background image of a Coral Reef, or if they fight in space, Earth or some similar planet, ect.
I'll probably use my room in the misc. comic relief bits I'll throw in between new parts of the story.

BTW, where do you guys get the images hosted? DA doesn't allow hotlinking, and photobucket has a limit (which wouldn't be a problem until I have to start deleting older posts to allow room for the new ones, and then new readers can't look up old posts to catch up (or figure out some of the frequently recurring inside jokes).

v2gundam
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 19
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by v2gundam » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:12 pm

about location and background, I think it's all about what your story is about.

In my case the story take place as if they are toy scale in human world, so I use the house as background. But then of course as I run out of location (there is only so much you can do with a living room, dinning room and 2 bedrooms), so I started using furniture as enclose space, cardboard boxes as rooms and (out of scale) buildings. I even have to use indoor and pretend to be outdoors simply because of the infamous Brittish weather.

I also, of several occasions, turn the camera 180degree towards the other side of the same room and pretend that to be another place. Most people still buy it (or just not really care about the identical backgrounds in COMPLETELY different locations). People reading photo-comics are (usually) pretty lenient, in this forum at least.