Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 163
MMS owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Murmeltier

Re: Wonderfest Exclusives - Crow and Swan

Post by Mikuo_Hatsune » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:57 am

Rantinan has Kyknos
And I have Alastore(check our threads)

alot of work needs to be done on these and even after theyre done, they're very fragile
Don't Follow Me On Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/ODST813

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 47
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altlene

Post by Shiaoran » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:18 am

I had seen your before, but forgot about it :P
And Rantinan hasn't shown much there...

So it's all glued on? I thought it was an unassembled Shinki, not a garage kit.

I hate frail figures. I don't get why they make them like that. Why not just cast in ABS and give the parts in runners?

Thanks, curiosity mostly gone, along with the wish to have them. I really hope we see normal versions of these, even if limited and for the same price.

arhra
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 38
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altines

Post by arhra » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:31 am

Shiaoran wrote:I hate frail figures. I don't get why they make them like that. Why not just cast in ABS and give the parts in runners?
Tooling costs. Injection moulding is fantastic for large production runs (very precise, very little manual intervention required, the moulds last a long, long time), but the initial startup cost of actually fabricating the moulds is extremely high, so for a tiny production run like those exclusives, the lower fixed-costs of resin casting win out, despite the significantly higher per-unit cost.

It's a similar reasoning as to why garage kits are pretty much universally resin-based, although in that case there's also the not-insubstantial cost of the injection moulding machine itself.

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 47
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altlene

Post by Shiaoran » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:50 am

Well, Konami isn't your independent limited-budget garage kit artist. Making them as regular Shinkis, just like the others are manufactured, but unassembled, would probably be cheaper for everyone.
Sure it's easy for most exclusives since they're just recolors, but what about the extra parts? What about Shinkis only avaliable as exclusives? Would these cost twice as much to make? Then charge us twice as much (not 3 times, as they were).

star
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Ianeira

Post by star » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Shiaoran wrote:Well, Konami isn't your independent limited-budget garage kit artist. Making them as regular Shinkis, just like the others are manufactured, but unassembled, would probably be cheaper for everyone.
Sure it's easy for most exclusives since they're just recolors, but what about the extra parts? What about Shinkis only avaliable as exclusives? Would these cost twice as much to make? Then charge us twice as much (not 3 times, as they were).
I agree, i love alastore but cant even begin to afford her, and shes so fagile and come un painted and unasembled, a regular release would have been much better

rantinan
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 100
MMS owned: 17
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Every Straf

Post by rantinan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Somehow i think the economies of scale are not QUITE translating here so, please, allow me to illustrate with some first hand knowledge.
Cost to make a 100 part, pressure formed silicone mold similar to what would have been used on krynos, including buying ALL the equipment you need to do the molding from scratch: $500. when jason grabbed his set up, This got two different grades of two part silicone, casting blocks, casting clay, two different grades of resin, a pressure pot AND a compressor.
Cost to make a 100 part injection mold when you already OWN the molding machines, CRC mills, prototypers, and other insanely expensive tools required to make the precision machined steel plates. Approximately $1000 PER PART. Now I haven't spoken to orange or liz in around 18 months, so these prices could well have gone up.

Both alastore and krynos have simply insane parts counts. For krynos (which is the one i own) only 5 of the included parts are "standard"

star
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Ianeira

Post by star » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 pm

rantinan wrote: Both alastore and krynos have simply insane parts counts. For krynos (which is the one i own) only 5 of the included parts are "standard"
although, alastore and kyknos have about the same mass as altines and altlene(actually just barely a little less) but with more weapons and configurations, and they also have unique parts, although they are similar to each other, so are alastore and kyknos, i should know, i payed very close attention to details when looking at all the reviews, aside from the skirt, chest, weapon, and upper arm armor add on, all other differences are merely how they got assembled, and the basic frame for the armor is the same except for the add-on bits and minor replaced parts, i even saw in one review that they both come with each others heads in their own color, dont get me wrong, I LOVE Alastore and hope to eventually own one, but these 2 just aren't worth that much money. I will probably spend close to $300 when i do get alastore and it just makes more sence to have these be a normal release.