Moderator: Caterwaul

Pyaamon
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 22
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio/ Arnval 2

Re: Wave 15 - Centaur and Tentacles

Post by Pyaamon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:28 am

Unless you left them in boiling water for a bit, you should be fine. Just dry them off afterward.

MoralWarfare
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 8
MMS owned: 0

Post by MoralWarfare » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:23 am

Any particular reason for this practice? I just leave my figures in their box for a bit till they're room temperature, then they get cracked open.

Or is this some kind of residue related issue that requires running them under water?

Just curious, as I've never done this with any of my Shinki's!

Pyaamon
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 22
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio/ Arnval 2

Post by Pyaamon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:07 am

Sometimes the shinkis can come very stiff from the factory where pieces have been inserted or made before things are entirely dry. A big case was the Gabrine and Renge shinkis that arrived with parts almost permanently stuck in a single position. Many were broken before people realized what had happened - the parts in question were legs with the foot on a ball-joint. Some of them had been inserted before the rubber was entirely dry so the joint was extra snug and when gently nudged the part would snap. Hot water shrunk the rubber back and freed the leg long enough to remould it back into the right shape.

For me they're the only shinkis I've had to heat up. Every other one has been fine with gentle movements to make the joints work again. I didn't want to risk it with those two.

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Caterwaul » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:10 am

It was mostly Gabrine more then Renge. And yeah, it was the ankle joint. I've personally had Yda's peg snap off once, but that was due to me twisting the thing off constantly.

Someone was experimenting with replacing the pegs with magnets once. Wondering how well that'd work as a long term thing for some of the connections.

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Shinkis owned: 32
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval

Post by halconfenix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:34 pm

my MaryCeles just arrived this morning, so far i like what i see... (and the box artwork is beautifully detailed...)

for now i have no choice but keeping her MIB, since i pretty much too busy to enjoy the hobby as of now...

(yeah i know im kinda basterd in that way but i dont have much of a choice af the moment.... my poor shinkis... :*( )

blade_anime
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: All of mine

Post by blade_anime » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Maryceles's gun barrel is stuck on the axe head, umm, how do I get it off without breaking it? I love these two by the way, I even took pains to open them both at the same time so as not to play favorites, but Proxy might be a bit annoyed that I played around with Mary's armor first. They really have so much personality. These are my first MMS 3rds by the way, and I'm not quite comfortable with taking off and replacing their chest parts, they seem too brittle to me. The paint on Mary's hair is a bit rough in places, but that actually makes it seem a bit more realistic, overall, I'm not seeing any of the complaints other people had. It's annoying how you have to completely take apart everything to put it back in the box though. Maochao and Howling had slightly more flexibility in that department. Of course, there's also the fact that they don't work with BR.

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Caterwaul » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 am

The risky way is to pull it straight out until it releases, without twisting it at all.

The safer, but more time consuming way is to soak it in hot water and then do the above.

AngelicStarseed
MMS Naked
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Ianeira, Maryceles

Post by AngelicStarseed » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:34 am

Hmm...I just ordered my first shinki today. Maryceles. I think she's adorable. What I am worried about is when I get it, hopefully the paint job won't be bad and I also hope that I don't accidentally snap anything since it's my first figure to put together :vitulus:

star
Class S Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Ianeira

Post by star » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:25 am

AngelicStarseed wrote:Hmm...I just ordered my first shinki today. Maryceles. I think she's adorable. What I am worried about is when I get it, hopefully the paint job won't be bad and I also hope that I don't accidentally snap anything since it's my first figure to put together :vitulus:
her paint job is actually really nice on mine, I have the original and the repaint and both are very well done, I have never had issues with her and fragile parts, just be gentle and don't be in a hurry when posing some of her armor, in my oppinion she is really well made, she really is cute though, Proxima adds to the cuteness in my oppinion though, Maryceles can attatch to Proxima's horse back and look like she's riding LOL

Sonja
Class S Shinki

Post by Sonja » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:34 am

AngelicStarseed wrote:Hmm...I just ordered my first shinki today. Maryceles. I think she's adorable. What I am worried about is when I get it, hopefully the paint job won't be bad and I also hope that I don't accidentally snap anything since it's my first figure to put together :vitulus:
Don't worry, it's not too easy to break many shinkis, especially Mary :) Just be gentle but firm and you'll be okay.