Caterwaul's Fun with a Garage Kit - Naughty Kiss

For pictures & videos or created works such as Signatures, Avatars & Wallpapers.

Moderator: Chaos Incarnate

royalpain88
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Re: Caterwaul's Fun with a Garage Kit - Naughty Kiss

Post by royalpain88 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:07 am

Some good sprue cutters WILL help. X-acto makes some of the best ones I've ever used. That and x-acto blades to help get the flashings off. A finger nail or emory board file to help smoothen down areas that need to be smoothened out. Remember, with resin, they more than likely used a resin mold ejector that is nearly impossible to paint over so don't or the paint will look like it got boiled or bubble up. So wash with a soft tooth toothbrush in warm, soapy water. If you know all of this already, then good and this info will be helpful to others who have not fooled with a resin kit.
Gentlemen do prefer blonde's.

bang04
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 7
MMS owned: 3
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altlene

Post by bang04 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:19 am

Basically Resin is clear, there are no color but when you add additive, such as talc powder, resin will become white, and it has color powder for resin that Japanese modeller use for color resin too (For my resin work, I use Mr. Color or tamiya color as additive for color). Because they don't want to pay for color additive (and charge in sell prices), so almost of resin kit will be white , but there are some resin kit that call "color resin" will have others colors, such as your face part that has flesh color.

Resin kits are complicate, they need more work step than plastic kit. You need to check holes on resin piece and fill it with epoxy putty, and you must sanding them with Water Sandpaper for smooth surface.

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Caterwaul » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 am

Update time...

IMAG0016 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
Here we see the parts for the lower body and thighs, pre-cleanup. Lots of flash.

IMAG0017 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
Post Clean up shot. You can see the air holes in the resin. Will need to fill that in. There's some inconsistancy with the edge too, but this bit will mostly be hidden under the upper torso. Will do some strengthening to keep it from crumbling.

IMAG0018-1 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
And here's the bottom of the lower torso. This will be in plain sight so I need to take some care on this. And yes. It IS molded to look like a garter belt and pantsu. Normally that might throw me off a bit, but most of that will be covered by her skirt when done. Taking suggestions on pantsu colors already BTW :D

IMAG0019 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
This is the rear of the lower torso near the top edge. You can see it's got issues too. I need to be careful with those edges as you can see the holes went right through the resin.

IMAG0021 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
And the thighs. Some rough edges again, but not as concerned as they'll be hidden by the lower torso most of the time. Still a couple decent sized holes to fill, though.

IMAG0020 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
The thighs from a different angle. You can see that they just used one of the original thighs for the mold casting as you can still see the screws. Shaved a bit to much off one of the posts, but I did a test fitting using a Shinki leg and it's not to bad.

Caterwaul
News Reporter

Post by Caterwaul » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 am

Head bits...

IMAG0022 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
Still on the sprues. Lots of sprue connectors.

IMAG0023 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
The external bits of the hair, post sprue/flash clean up. There's a couple troublesome issues, but not as bad as the body. Will probably sand the hair 'points' a bit to even out the shapes. The blob of resin there is supposed to be drilled out so you can attach her head gear, but it looks misplaced. Will need to check later once I get that part done.

IMAG0024 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
The internal bits of the hair. And here we come to a problem. They didnt leave any bits to attach the two hair pieces together. I'll have to add some connectors later.

IMAG0025 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
A test fit of the hair. I did a quick removal of the worse flash/sprue from one of the faces so I can see how well it fit and to shave off the areas that dont belong on the hair so the ears can properly poke through. Used my sprue cutters as an impromptu holder.

IMAG0026 by istal_devalis, on Flickr
Side shot of the same.

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 47
MMS owned: 5

Post by Shiaoran » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 am

It's really sad how sloppy this GK is... They could've paid more attention to the quality of the recast.
It's nice that they've provided the full body instead of making you chase an official one. When it's finished I bet it's actually sturdier than the original.

I guess only black (original) or white (to contrast with the black clothes) panties would be fitting, but it's up to you, dunno if you have a moe color XD

I really like this character (one of the couple from WF that grabbed my attention), and if I had the skill to build it, I would hunt one too :P

Techmouse45
MMS Naked
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Nezu-Mimi

Post by Techmouse45 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 am

Ok, here goes...

Since you asked so nicely in the chat, here's the hints/help we discussed.

First, the very thin walled sections need backing with some type of epoxy putty, to make them stronger and give good backing so you can fill and sand the holes and shape the edges where needed. You mentioned liquid green stuff for the holes, that's a good choice since it's water soluable. It does shrink a bit more on drying than normal sanding putties, but I doubt you'll want to speed through this stage anyways. A good epoxy putty is Milliput or the GW green stuff, both are two part epoxies. The one major advantage that Milliput has over GW is you get more for just a couple dollars extra and it happens to be sandable. If by some sad chance you should break a piece, depending on the size, you should pin and epoxy it back together, especially if it's going to see high use (posing, etc). If not, pinning and superglue will work. Doesn't look like the hair pieces are designed to actually seperate, like for normal Shinki. So, you're going to have to decide about giving her a permanent body and accept she has one expression, like Strarf and Arnval (original releases). Using a good wet-dry sanding paper helps a lot too. Testors makes a good and inexpensive set with varying grades from fine to coarse. Plastic backed so you can wrap it easier around curved surfaces. The resin used for the set looks off, so again, be very careful. Not like you can get replacements anytime soon. Go slow, and have fun!

Caterwaul
News Reporter

Post by Caterwaul » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Shiaoran wrote:It's really sad how sloppy this GK is... They could've paid more attention to the quality of the recast.
It's nice that they've provided the full body instead of making you chase an official one. When it's finished I bet it's actually sturdier than the original.
It's not the full body. It's a head, lower torso, and upperthighs. Oh, and Armor. Everything else needs to come off a spare body. Also, it's a lot more fragile stuff then the platic in a shinki body so Im gonna need to be very careful even when it's done.

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 47
MMS owned: 5

Post by Shiaoran » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Caterwaul wrote:
Shiaoran wrote:It's really sad how sloppy this GK is... They could've paid more attention to the quality of the recast.
It's not the full body. It's a head, lower torso, and upperthighs. Oh, and Armor. Everything else needs to come off a spare body. Also, it's a lot more fragile stuff then the platic in a shinki body so Im gonna need to be very careful even when it's done.
Teasers :/
At least they provide parts enough so that you only need 1 body, unlike Alastore/Kyknos where you need 2 to make their bodies :P

royalpain88
Class S Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by royalpain88 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 pm

I like her hair. A lot of spot putty and green stuff is gonna be needed on this one. Best of luck to you.
Gentlemen do prefer blonde's.

bang04
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 7
MMS owned: 3

Post by bang04 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Just as I think, she has very rough skin and many hole.

If I were you, I would not used lower torso, and upper thighs that come with this kit, but I would use naked body and build up the detail such as panty garter belt and cloth (just only bulging point such as golden color point) by epoxy putty and plastic sheet instead, this will be easier than use original parts and will fit perfectly. I think resin thighs part will not fit with naked joint perfectly that will made her less durable from action.