Busou Shinki Ep 5 Discussion - Warning: Spoilers

For discussion of the Busou Shinki anime shorts and unofficial animation such as Plamoo's stop motion movies.

Moderator: Caterwaul

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Re: Busou Shinki Ep 5 Discussion - Warning: Spoilers

Post by Klinkin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Interesting episode, though I wonder why they didn't just put all that luggage in...going to call it hammerspace, for lack of an official term. While it would take energy to materialize, they could fit more battery packs in there to make up for it. Heck, given the small size of Shinkis, it's obvious that the energy density of batteries has gone way up; a watch battery-sized cell could probably power a Shinki for several days of normal activity. With that said, though, if Shinkis used FPGAs for their main processing (I'm guessing they would, to allow for more "human" mental growth), if they ever completely run out of power, then they would, for lack of a better term, die; even if found and recharged, they would lose, if not their memories (though they might, since they probably use faster, more space-efficient NVM), their personalities. Another quirk of that theory is that their FPGA (essentially their brain) would be receiving power even when they sleep to keep intact, similar to REM sleep in humans. Shinkis might dream.

kintaro
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 7

Post by kintaro » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Klinkin wrote:With that said, though, if Shinkis used FPGAs for their main processing (I'm guessing they would, to allow for more "human" mental growth), if they ever completely run out of power, then they would, for lack of a better term, die; even if found and recharged, they would lose, if not their memories (though they might, since they probably use faster, more space-efficient NVM), their personalities. Another quirk of that theory is that their FPGA (essentially their brain) would be receiving power even when they sleep to keep intact, similar to REM sleep in humans. Shinkis might dream.
I'm fairly certain that achieving the kind of performance seen in anime would require radically new technologies, and that low power consumption would be pretty high on the list of priorities. I wouldn't be surprised if their FPGAs were nano-mechanical and only needed power for reconfiguration as opposed to maintaining the state (think ePaper vs LCD). Running out of power in the middle of nowhere is still bad though: non-volatile memory doesn't help you if you're never found.

Storm Wing
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 3
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Asuka

Post by Storm Wing » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Klinkin wrote:Interesting episode, though I wonder why they didn't just put all that luggage in...going to call it hammerspace, for lack of an official term.
I'm with you. We can see they can actually wears the Busou (armor) almost immediately, but then again we saw Ann's Jetpack almost DEEPFRIED by Ines :D So yeah, it's gotta be Hammerspace :lol: LOLs
Cut! Cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut CUT!!
Spin the vermin, reverse the guilt. Reverse the birth, reverse the world. Spin spin spinspinspinSPIN~~~!

Adventwings
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Asuka

Post by Adventwings » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:01 am

I'm officially fangirling over how awesome Zel is in this Anime. Fweee~!

Also, Quantum computers are being researched. Maybe that could explain the drastic miniaturization and lower power consumption.
<<Should you fail, try and try again.>>

rantinan
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 100
MMS owned: 17
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Every Straf

Post by rantinan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:58 pm

According to the shinki sticker sheet of many years ago, shinki batteries are rated in 500 and 700 aH. Full AMP hours.
That's kinda small black hole levels of power... tis a good thing they didnt short out huh?

(700 Ah * 3600 c) /350 C = the power of seven thousand twohundred big ass lightening strikes

Autobus Prime
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by Autobus Prime » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:34 am

rantinan wrote:According to the shinki sticker sheet of many years ago, shinki batteries are rated in 500 and 700 aH. Full AMP hours.
That's kinda small black hole levels of power... tis a good thing they didnt short out huh?

(700 Ah * 3600 c) /350 C = the power of seven thousand twohundred big ass lightening strikes
R:

Hmm, a lightning strike is about 200 kilowatt hours, but I need to know the battery's voltage rating to compare. If it's
5v, then that's 2.5-3.5 kWh. If it's 100v, 50-70 kWh. So, an awful lot of power for a little thing, but not quite up to a lightning strike. :nanner:
:benio: Image

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Shinkis owned: 32
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval

Post by halconfenix » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 pm

:fubuki: :schmetterling:

Autobus Prime
MMS Naked

Post by Autobus Prime » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:02 pm

HF:

"I have become Death, destroyer of nekomimi"

Though not quite as much as Canthros sama, maybe. :nanner:

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Caterwaul » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:55 am

I dont know, I find the rationalization of technobabble kind of fascinating. THey have to have a lot of power to operate some of their functions, most notably the armor/weapon materialization. How much do you think a shinki's owner pays in terms of electric bill?

Autobus Prime
MMS Naked

Post by Autobus Prime » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:53 am

Caterwaul wrote:I dont know, I find the rationalization of technobabble kind of fascinating. THey have to have a lot of power to operate some of their functions, most notably the armor/weapon materialization. How much do you think a shinki's owner pays in terms of electric bill?
Well, using the numbers above, and given that electricity is about 18 US cents per kilowatt hour in Japan, either 45-63 cents per charge, or $9-12.60. :D

(Of course, if they're USB powered, the low number is probably closer, though all of the directed-energy weapons must be awfully efficient. :D)