custom shinki Re-paint - How?

Questions and discussion on all things related to Busou Shinki & MMS toys.

Moderator: Caterwaul

Chalkred
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: probably Gabrine

custom shinki Re-paint - How?

Post by Chalkred » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:37 pm

am considering tryin a repaint on one of mine, but. id like to know whats the best way to do it. dipstick? spray? what type of ink- would plain acrylics work? worth buyin anything else per it?

am a bit hesitant about it- i dun want to ruin it hahah.

Pyaamon
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 22
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio/ Arnval 2

Re: custom shinki Re-paint - How?

Post by Pyaamon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:30 pm

I would like to ask this question as well, considering what I'll be up to soon enough. Do we wash down the entire body (how do the metal parts hold up against water?) and is it possible to lay a base coat down as you would a warhammer model or something? I was considering using enamels over it for detail or something, but it'll be hard. Any thoughts?

Xehn
Kamen Adminder
Shinkis owned: 33
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio

Post by Xehn » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:05 pm

I've never had to do a basecoat with the two I painted. Just sprayed on the color I wanted. =\

EDIT: That said, I wouldn't try to paint one unless you're completely comfortable with it. My two weren't painted until after, in my Euk's case, her paint was damaged beyong repair, so I went full-custom, and in Strarf's case, not until I'd acquired a replacement.

rantinan
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 100
MMS owned: 17
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Every Straf

Post by rantinan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:56 am

Stage one: Strip it down.
You wanna get your shinki into as many parts as possible before painting. a 00 sized screwdriver is required to get the main body parts open, but this is worth it. paint in the joints, particularly the hip and shoulder joints, can cause em to freeze up. I dont care that its more work, do eeet,

Stage 2 wash. odds on you;ve been playing with your shinki,. Your grubby little mits are full of finger oils, and they generaly repell most paint. So give her a light bath. Using a medium heat hairdryer on the parts afterwards (or just sun drying them) will ensure that corrosion is kept to an absolute minimum at this stage

Stage 3. Base coats. Most shinkis have VERY STRONG paint schemes on them already.
White or grey generally make the best bases, although for bood red, dark purples and metalics you can use black if you know the correct techniques.

stage 4. Basic colours. get these on however you like. Sometimes i airbrush, sometimes i hand paint. i dont spray on shinkis., but others have had success

Stage 5: Shading. I use a variety of acrylic inks to shade with

stage 6: Highlighting. this is also the stage in which you drybrush the metalic bits

Stage 7: the face. Do the head seperately, you will be glad you did. becasue its a doll, carefull attention should be paied to the face, consider using oil pastels in a similar fashion to makeup if you have makeup experience. You can paint the eyes, or use decals. I use and recomend parabox doll eye decals

Pyaamon
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 22
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio/ Arnval 2

Post by Pyaamon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:54 am

Thanks, Rant. I actually have those eye decals you're talking about - but I had no idea that the blank MMS heads were so bloody small. What are your thoughts on molding your own hair pieces for shinkis? I know somebody's done it on the board, may have the link saved somewhere, but you've customized stuff for ages...what are your thoughts on how to go about that?

Sonja
Class S Shinki

Post by Sonja » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:41 pm

Are oil pastels really such a good thing to use? They don't dry easily from what I've heard, and in the resin doll community they're a huge no-no because they stain the plastic easily. I'm not sure about shinki plastic, because I've never customized it beyond a hair repaint before.

I just bought a MMSnaked body and I'm working out what I'm going to do with it. Parabox eye decals actually come small enough? I have some, but I think they're too big! I'll have to take a look.

What do you seal your finished shinkis with? I have a few cans of Mr. Super Clear Flat (UV Cut) and I use it on pretty much everything - seems it should work okay on shinki too.

rantinan
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 100
MMS owned: 17
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Every Straf

Post by rantinan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:58 pm

Sealing with mr colour or tamaya flat clear is fine. Depending on your custom, ans the paint you use, it can be unnessercary. I frequently dont bother sealing as i use an acrylic by Coat De Arms that does not appreciate it.

Making hair is its own, special and crazy exercise. Not one im terribly good at, so im taking a class in it next year.

As for parabox decals... they come in lots of differnt sizes. the 1/6 decals have sets suitable for tiny 1/6 heads, which coincidentaly work for the larger 1/12 heads. Murm, how, mao etc work fine. Harmony grace or valorna, less so. However even studying the suckers up close and personal can give you ideas on how to paint on eyes if you;re so inclined.

Sonja
Class S Shinki

Post by Sonja » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:06 pm

Ah, I see. =) Looking at them they definitely look like they'd fit my Pomock or Partio, but the rest of my girls (and my naked mms head) are too small.

I instead modded my blushing Valona head and some figumate hair to make a head for my naked girl. Not sure what I'll do with her body quite yet. Need to get in more white paint first.

Machinegeist
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 51
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf

Post by Machinegeist » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:24 pm

Wow, nice to see a thread to help beginners for customising. Rant's suggestions are pretty top notch. I my self have had good luck with citadel paints for warhammer models, they are acrylic and dry pretty quick so you can get the next coat on. If you plan to brush, water the paint down to milk like consistancy and apply multiple coats to get an even look. Can't really say anything on airbrushing as thats an adventure ive not attempted yet, though ive done spray paint and can honestly say its not all that good, least for me.

Ron8675309
Class C Shinki
Shinkis owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Lirbiete

Post by Ron8675309 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 am

Sorry to necro. I'm thinking of recoloring Shinki's hair; would I use the same type of paint for their hair as I would for their bodies, or do they require different kinds of paint because of texture, different plastics, etc?