Best/Worst Locations to Buy Busou Shinki

Questions and discussion on all things related to Busou Shinki & MMS toys.

Moderator: Caterwaul

Aurea Arleigh
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 4
MMS owned: 0

Re: Best/Worst Locations to Buy Busou Shinki

Post by Aurea Arleigh » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Fubukitsune wrote:Adding one to avoid or at least watch out for on YahooJapan: marketenterprise_2006
Hidden fees not in listing page, sadly noppin backed the seller and stated to pay the extra $30 in consumption fees & taxes. Mind you this was not including the shipping cost or noppins normal payment handling fee or noppin fee.
Needless to say my bargain ended up costing same price as it would have to buy direct from somewhere like Mandarake. Just use caution if you do purchase from this seller.
Werkstra arrived okay, Valona was missing her thumb on default hand, armor was all over the place and even rusty screws. Both items were detailed as new so not only was the seller a thief with extra hidden fees, they are also liars on description. Be very weary of buying from this seller on YJA.

Squigsquasher
MMS Naked
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf Lavina

Post by Squigsquasher » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:16 pm

Are there any places besides Mandarake that are good for buying Shinkis in the UK? I know AmiAmi does preowned stuff but their shipping is super expensive and they don't mark down value on packages like Mandarake (which is just too unreliable and the prices are craaaaaazy sometimes). I've checked eBay and they sometimes have good deals, but very rarely. I don't know if there's any small brick and mortar shops over here with websites that might sell them...

I'd ideally like to get Maryceles, although I am aware she is quite expensive...

Stanisburgh
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 49

Post by Stanisburgh » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Squigsquasher wrote:Are there any places besides Mandarake that are good for buying Shinkis in the UK? I know AmiAmi does preowned stuff but their shipping is super expensive and they don't mark down value on packages like Mandarake (which is just too unreliable and the prices are craaaaaazy sometimes). I've checked eBay and they sometimes have good deals, but very rarely. I don't know if there's any small brick and mortar shops over here with websites that might sell them...

I'd ideally like to get Maryceles, although I am aware she is quite expensive...
Mandarake is the best hands down. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they're too unreliable from. You might want to know that they aren't marking down packages anymore, however.

Squigsquasher
MMS Naked
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf Lavina

Post by Squigsquasher » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Stanisburgh wrote:
Squigsquasher wrote:Are there any places besides Mandarake that are good for buying Shinkis in the UK? I know AmiAmi does preowned stuff but their shipping is super expensive and they don't mark down value on packages like Mandarake (which is just too unreliable and the prices are craaaaaazy sometimes). I've checked eBay and they sometimes have good deals, but very rarely. I don't know if there's any small brick and mortar shops over here with websites that might sell them...

Mandarake is the best hands down. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they're too unreliable from. You might want to know that they aren't marking down packages anymore, however.
By "unreliable" I meant "Their stock varies massively and you never know what they'll have in" which I suppose is just a problem with preowned stores full stop. I did hear that they won't mark stuff down anymore, but I also heard they will if you ask them to in the order comments and say "I accept full responsibility for any consequences".

Thank you anyway! I'll remember to look regularly.

PlasticWaifu
Class B Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Oorbellen

Post by PlasticWaifu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Squigsquasher wrote:
Stanisburgh wrote:

By "unreliable" I meant "Their stock varies massively and you never know what they'll have in" which I suppose is just a problem with preowned stores full stop. I did hear that they won't mark stuff down anymore, but I also heard they will if you ask them to in the order comments and say "I accept full responsibility for any consequences".

Thank you anyway! I'll remember to look regularly.
Yeah, that's an inherent problem with Mandarake but you really just need to be patient and eventually what you want generally pops up. You might want to consider setting up notifications on FigInStock to let you know when things you're looking for on there come in. Make sure though, when searching Mandarake and if you use FIS to use the Japanese and English for searching. The individual stores seem to name things differently so you can miss out on things by not searching thoroughly. Good luck in your hunt.

EDIT - There's a Maryceles up right now too.

Heckfire
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 24
MMS owned: 6
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Do I HAVE to choose?

Post by Heckfire » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:09 pm

I've gotten pretty sold on using a proxy service like Noppin for Japanese auctions. There's still the usual issues of shipping costs and such, and there's the ever present snipers and risks as with eBay, but you can occasionally stumble onto some excellent finds. As for shipping costs to the UK, I'm not sure if they're that much different than shipping fees to rural Colorado here in the US for me, but they're usually not TOO bad to get stuff out here.
"Grab a shovel-I'm one skull away from a Mouseketeer reunion." -Bender
"I'm a triceratops balancing on a daisy with spinning wheels, baby!" -Dexter

=^.^= ~~>

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Caterwaul » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:57 am

Proxy + YJA is a pretty decent way of finding things, but those proxy feeds can really add up.

quotemarks
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 8
MMS owned: 8
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Lirbiete

Post by quotemarks » Mon May 11, 2015 9:27 am

How is TERRAFORMER/RAKUTEN?

http://www.rakuten.com.sg/shop/terrafor ... hop_search

They've got free shipping to Singapore so I'm curious.

(Also if you're very lucky you might find some Shinki at Toy and Game Singapore, which just took over from Comics Connection and ditched all the K-Pop nobodies for all the figurines ever. I got my first few Shinki from them. http://tog.com.sg/)
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lock Cade
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 56
MMS owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf, Partio

Post by Lock Cade » Tue May 12, 2015 9:28 am

Terraformer is a pretty good place to buy Shinki from. I should know, I bought a Shinki off of their eBay store last year and I was very pleased with their pricing, shipping, and accurate descriptions. I definitely recommend them.

quotemarks
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 8
MMS owned: 8
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Lirbiete

Post by quotemarks » Wed May 13, 2015 11:03 am

Thanks for the heads-up on Rakuten.

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/
Mandarake, is this one a good site as well? Techraptor mentioned it for its secondhand games, but how are they with Shinki?
GNU Terry Pratchett