can someone explain busou shinki to me?

Questions and discussion on all things related to Busou Shinki & MMS toys.

Moderator: Caterwaul

goobahead1
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0

can someone explain busou shinki to me?

Post by goobahead1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:55 am

basically i read the guide for beginners but it made me even more confused, i looked at amazon and there are alot of busou shinki's but some are labeled differently then others and i dont want to buy a non-shinki thinking its an actual-shinki.

plus there is this who thing about ex sets, and light sets, and different skin tones and what appears to be shinki's without clothes or faces or accecories and all sorts of other stuff that im confused about, and like mentioned above i really dont want to buy shinki;'s blindly and get the wrong stuff!

Ron8675309
Class C Shinki
Shinkis owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Lirbiete

Re: can someone explain busou shinki to me?

Post by Ron8675309 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 pm

I'm also new to the BS world, though I have acquired my first Shinki.

From what I've learned, EX sets only come with armor parts and a head; they require a body (acquired separately, either a blank body or the body from another Shinki set) in order to be used fully.

Light sets are complete Shinki with bodies and heads, but have less armor than a full set, which is why they're called "light".

There are also MMS figures that are not actual Busou Shinki; the main ones I know like this are the Sky Girls, and IIRC Busou Shinki armor will not fit a Sky Girls figure, so they are incompatible with the head and parts in an EX set.

Obviously different Shinki have different skin tones, and there is a topic around here that covers which Shinki parts are compatible with each other based on skin tone.

I believe most full, light, and EX sets will have faces and accessories; it's when you buy a Shinki body separately from a place like Mandarake that you will find bodies with a set of hands, but no head/face. However there are blank Shinki bodies that do come with heads and faces - it's just that the heads and faces are, like the package says, completely blank. You will have to either paint/attach a face and attach hair pieces onto a blank body that you either craft yourself or acquire from a finished Shinki.

I have not heard of any Shinki that comes with clothes; I think people either make or buy those separately.

Personally I recommend your first Shinki should be either a full set or a light armor set, because those will at least be complete figures. In my experience, EX sets are cheaper, but blank Shinki bodies are expensive, so much so that it can easily cost less to just buy a full set or light armor Shinki.

Blank Page Opera
MMS Naked

Post by Blank Page Opera » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:56 pm

kind of a loaded question, haha.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? I can only answer based off of personal experience and speculation.

Busou Shinki is a franchise that possibly started with the articulated figures that it seems you've been looking at. In terms of what its about, the anime is probably a good explanation of that. Or if you're familiar with an old anime called Angelic Layer, story universe/concept wise like that.

In terms of the articulated figures, the wiki has a good list of what has been released: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busou_Shinki
To attempt a summary...the figures have been released in waves. Generally themed somehow. There's a base figure, then accessories. "Standard" waves have quite a lot, while Light Armour sets not as much. Also reflected in cost. All the accessories are interchangeable between figures (IN GENERAL, as there was an update to the figures somewhere along the line), so you can mix and match and customize once you have a standard or light armour set and get more. EX sets are like accessories only, so you should have a standard set, light armour or "naked" figure. Naked figures are the Shinki's without clothes, painted face or accessories. Now, if you're trying to match or replace parts with one of the standard wave or light armour sets that's where you have to be mindful of skin tones. Also, if you are customizing and have something particular in mind.

If you're looking specifically for Busou Shinki figures, they are the ones by Konami. Upon a quick search on Amazon, it looks like some Armor Girls showed up. They look nice (don't know what they're like personally) but they are a different figure line by Bandai.

As to where to buy, there's the "where to buy" thread on here. Ebay is usually really bad in that they are really expensive. Considering the availability of figures though, that's something you're gonna end up facing depending on which Shinki you're looking for.

Yahoo auctions Japan is a good place, but you should have a proxy of some sort to purchase through. Either that, or if you know someone in Japan...which is still technically a proxy, ehe. I think this is the search for Busou Shinki in order of most expensive to least. Garage kits and clothing will also show up though:
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... e&auccat=0

And here is another place. Haven't ordered from here personally, but I think others here have recommended them:
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/se ... sou+shinki

Its probably worth checking the Japanese version of Mandarake as well though.

If there's a figure you're wondering about, you could probably ask here. As long is its listed in that wiki page, you shouldn't have to worry about getting something wrong.........probably.

Hope that helps.

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Caterwaul » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:56 am

goobahead1 wrote:plus there is this who thing about ex sets, and light sets, and different skin tones and what appears to be shinki's without clothes or faces or accecories and all sorts of other stuff that im confused about, and like mentioned above i really dont want to buy shinki;'s blindly and get the wrong stuff!
Broad summary...
When Shinkis first came out, they showed up as either full sets, or Ex sets. EX sets were cheaper but didn't include a body, with the expectation that you'd either crib one from another set, or buy a blank. These blank ones are the ones you mentioned above without accessories or faces. They're meant for use in EX sets, or for customization.

Ex sets didn't end up doing all that well. Blank bodies were hard to get, and buying whole sets just for the body was a bit prohibitive. Light shinkis are a bit of a compromise. They include the body, but they had a lot less accessories.