Mandarake, what do you think?

Questions and discussion on all things related to Busou Shinki & MMS toys.

Moderator: Caterwaul

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby igor23ba » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm

TRANS+CRAZY wrote:I did get a couple of Shinki that were so floppy that their parts easily fall off. First off my Strarf Mk2; her legs are so wobbly, I can't get her to stand properly. Then, Arnval Tempesta Mk2; she is so floppy, she can't stand properly and I put on her long hair piece, and that falls off quite a lot. But... that's the price one pays for buying secondhand Shinkis. So regardless of that, I've been pleased with Mandarake and will continue to buy from them.

clear nail polish is a very good way to fix it
igor23ba
MMS Naked
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 am
Shinkis owned: 1
MMS owned: 0

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby Lock Cade » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:50 am

igor23ba wrote:
TRANS+CRAZY wrote:I did get a couple of Shinki that were so floppy that their parts easily fall off. First off my Strarf Mk2; her legs are so wobbly, I can't get her to stand properly. Then, Arnval Tempesta Mk2; she is so floppy, she can't stand properly and I put on her long hair piece, and that falls off quite a lot. But... that's the price one pays for buying secondhand Shinkis. So regardless of that, I've been pleased with Mandarake and will continue to buy from them.

clear nail polish is a very good way to fix it


I am very sloppy when applying nail polish, so I wouldn't DARE apply that stuff to any of my toys.
User avatar
Lock Cade
Class S Shinki
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:48 pm
Location: Michigan
Shinkis owned: 56
MMS owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf, Partio

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby Caterwaul » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:02 am

I doubt you want to risk it, but there's also the superglue method.
You place a drop of it on the joint and keep moving the joint around until it dries. Super glue is viscous enough to coat the joint evenly. The downside is...well, I think it's obvious what happens if you mess up the process. :D
Image
User avatar
Caterwaul
News Reporter
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: New Jersey, the suburb state
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby Stanisburgh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:18 am

Dooon't use superglue. Way too easy to screw it up, especially if you're using the instant-drying kind.

There's something called Pledge Future which is basically an acrylic varnish for floors and goes for like 3 dollars a bottle that will last you forever. Put on a layer of that on the socket/peg and let it dry for a day. If it's still too loose, try it again. If it's on an elbow joint or something, inject it into the joint with a syringe or dropper.

It also works as a killer acrylic sealer for any model kits or customs you might be working on that has self-leveling properties so it can just be brushed on.

An alternative method is a thin layer of school/white glue, but I've heard that just peels off of the joint too easily.
Stanisburgh
Class A Shinki
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24 pm
Shinkis owned: 49
MMS owned: 0

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby Klinkin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 am

Stanisburgh wrote:An alternative method is a thin layer of school/white glue, but I've heard that just peels off of the joint too easily.

Tried this particular method myself, and I can confirm it does peel off easily on non-porous surfaces.
Image
User avatar
Klinkin
Class S Shinki
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:46 pm
Shinkis owned: 2
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby Lock Cade » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:15 am

Yeah, no way I'm applying superglue or clear nail polish on any of my figures with loose joints. Besides, I was planning on getting the Full Arms Package versions of Strarf Mk2 and Arnval Tempesta Mk2 anyway, and the non-FAP versions will be used for spare parts.
User avatar
Lock Cade
Class S Shinki
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:48 pm
Location: Michigan
Shinkis owned: 56
MMS owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf, Partio

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby halconfenix » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 pm

TRANS+CRAZY wrote:Besides, I was planning on getting the Full Arms Package versions of Strarf Mk2 and Arnval Tempesta Mk2 anyway, and the non-FAP versions will be used for spare parts.


just like i did... :P
User avatar
halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:00 am
Location: Manizales (Colombia)
Shinkis owned: 32
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby Tsumanne » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:12 am

Mandarake is a 100% legit operation. Hands down the most famous store of it's kind in the country and has been for over 20 years. All of my experiences with Mandarake have been in person.

So far I've been to the Akihabara, Nakano, Osaka, Shibuya, and Ikebukuro branches. Actually, I was just at the 8 story tall Akihabara store again last weekend. Good selection of Shinki for sale; All in their boxes and kept in a locked glass display case.

Of note, I've been in the back of the Nakano branch's warehouse before. Very clean, well organized, and the workers handled everything with care. One of the warehouse workers I spoke with put my Japanese to shame by speaking immaculate English. Nice guy too.

Well that's my insight on Mandarake.

cheers
Eagles soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet engine.
User avatar
Tsumanne
Class B Shinki
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:01 am
Location: Everywhere... No Joke
Shinkis owned: 4
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Lirbiete

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby Lock Cade » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:01 am

halconfenix wrote:
TRANS+CRAZY wrote:Besides, I was planning on getting the Full Arms Package versions of Strarf Mk2 and Arnval Tempesta Mk2 anyway, and the non-FAP versions will be used for spare parts.


just like i did... :P


Yeah, pretty much that's my plan. :schmetterling:
User avatar
Lock Cade
Class S Shinki
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:48 pm
Location: Michigan
Shinkis owned: 56
MMS owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf, Partio

Re: Mandarake, what do you think?

Postby Raiski » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:05 am

Tsumanne wrote:Mandarake is a 100% legit operation. Hands down the most famous store of it's kind in the country and has been for over 20 years. All of my experiences with Mandarake have been in person.

So far I've been to the Akihabara, Nakano, Osaka, Shibuya, and Ikebukuro branches. Actually, I was just at the 8 story tall Akihabara store again last weekend. Good selection of Shinki for sale; All in their boxes and kept in a locked glass display case.

Of note, I've been in the back of the Nakano branch's warehouse before. Very clean, well organized, and the workers handled everything with care. One of the warehouse workers I spoke with put my Japanese to shame by speaking immaculate English. Nice guy too.

Well that's my insight on Mandarake.

cheers


Man, that gives me a nostalgic feeling! Mandarake stores were so impressive to visit during my trip to Japan. I visited most on the Tokio area, my favorites are Nakano and Shibuya. That trip was when I got my first shinki too, ahh~ Good times.
Image
User avatar
Raiski
Class B Shinki
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:09 pm
Location: Finland
Shinkis owned: 20
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Yda Stradale

PreviousNext

Return to Toy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron