Screw types

Questions and discussion on all things related to Busou Shinki & MMS toys.

Moderator: Caterwaul

rantinan
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 100
MMS owned: 17
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Every Straf

Re: Screw types

Post by rantinan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 pm

MrHolister wrote:
Caterwaul wrote:Why do you want to replace the rivets, anyways? We might be able to suggest an alternative.
I believe he is trying to make copy shinkis. Not bootleg copies of original designs, but I seem to remember he wants to make molds so he can do custom stuff. I had a similar interest when I first joined.. but now I am just making unique accessories and body components, not entire shinkis..

I hope I am correct in assuming that is what he meant. I am curious also what one would do if you needed to replace the rivet for a joint...
answer: witih anotehr rivet.
I would use a soft piece of alumnium (armature wite for sulpting is a great option) Insert into the hole and form down into a head on both sides. Constant slow pressure is the trick here

Mobius
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 3
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Fliers~

Post by Mobius » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 pm

MrHolister wrote:
Caterwaul wrote:Why do you want to replace the rivets, anyways? We might be able to suggest an alternative.
I believe he is trying to make copy shinkis. Not bootleg copies of original designs, but I seem to remember he wants to make molds so he can do custom stuff. I had a similar interest when I first joined.. but now I am just making unique accessories and body components, not entire shinkis..

I hope I am correct in assuming that is what he meant. I am curious also what one would do if you needed to replace the rivet for a joint...
That's it - making my own original ones. Not replicas or full copies, my own designs. And thanks for the help guys, it means a lot. I was originally planning to use my Arnval to make the cast, but considering how risky it is, I don't want to endanger her as a sacrifice (she's still a bit scared >>). Hence why right now I'm also in the market to see if I can get a blank body to experiment with.

MrHolister
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Vitulus

Post by MrHolister » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Mobius wrote:
MrHolister wrote:

That's it - making my own original ones. Not replicas or full copies, my own designs. And thanks for the help guys, it means a lot. I was originally planning to use my Arnval to make the cast, but considering how risky it is, I don't want to endanger her as a sacrifice (she's still a bit scared >>). Hence why right now I'm also in the market to see if I can get a blank body to experiment with.

While I would be a bit sad to see one mangled, Ebay has several Juvicy figures very cheap (under $50 shipped) and for a body, it's not that bad. I feel this may be your best potion. She has some neat pieces as well too.. Good luck.
Shinkis for sale or trade!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2119

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:12 pm

TY, though I'd say that the only way I'm risking mangling a Shinki that isn't a naked body is if it's a duplicate. Though at this rate, that may be the cheapest option like you're saying.

bang04
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 7
MMS owned: 3
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altlene

Post by bang04 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 47
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altlene

Post by Shiaoran » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 am

Blank bodies are expensive comparing to Shinkis like Juvsy :P (Got mine for $30 shipped, you just have to look around)

MrHolister
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Vitulus

Post by MrHolister » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 am

Shiaoran wrote:Blank bodies are expensive comparing to Shinkis like Juvsy :P (Got mine for $30 shipped, you just have to look around)
Yeah, I got my Juvisy with no real interest in her actual qualities at all. Hated almost everything about her.. Then she grew on me real quick and now I have several other more expensive girls in route..

To Mobius, if you are using this to do a cast copy of her body etc, remember some characters come with extra leg sections for their armored mode (like Juvisy for instance, and some even have different arms) This would at least help with some practice on NON-Vital limbs until you manage to get good at removing/replacing rivets to make a cast or two. I'm planning on doing something similar, and maybe we can share notes to help each other out during any rough patches.

If I may ask without sidetracking from your original question, what kind of material are you planning to cast this with? (it may be important to the rivet issue..)
Shinkis for sale or trade!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2119

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 am

Right now, I'm probably going to be sticking with resin. Not exactly the most durable of materials, but it's worth a shot. Not only that, but considering I've seen some nice pieces come in resin for both Busou Shinki and Gunpla, I'm willing to take my chances.

Edit: And damn, Juvisy IS cheap. Do people hate her or something? Also yeah, I wouldn't mind swapping what amounts to research once I actually am able to do my thing, Holister.

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Post by Klinkin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 am

Mobius wrote: And damn, Juvisy IS cheap. Do people hate her or something?
Neither of the Wave 4 figures was ever particularly popular. It's arguable they're the first "weak" wave in the franchise, and were followed by several strong waves. In my opinion, Juvisy's not that bad, really, but apart from her wings, most of her weapons and armor are just too plant-themed. A watering can gun? Seriously? That, and people tend to dislike the cartoony official art.

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Klinkin wrote:
Mobius wrote: And damn, Juvisy IS cheap. Do people hate her or something?
Neither of the Wave 4 figures was ever particularly popular. It's arguable they're the first "weak" wave in the franchise, and were followed by several strong waves. In my opinion, Juvisy's not that bad, really, but apart from her wings, most of her weapons and armor are just too plant-themed. A watering can gun? Seriously? That, and people tend to dislike the cartoony official art.
I see... Well, at the very least, nabbing her from what I hear lets me practice on removing non-essential rivets, and hey, another Shinki to boot. More Shinkis is always better *shot*. Considering what I've seen other people do on this forum, I think I could manage to 'redeem' her so to speak. :P