Screw types

Questions and discussion on all things related to Busou Shinki & MMS toys.

Moderator: Caterwaul

Mobius
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 3
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Fliers~

Screw types

Post by Mobius » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:50 am

I've looked online and in this forum and found nothing, so I'll ask. Those small silver screws that hold the Shinki's shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles together - What are they called and what do I need to take them out?

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Re: Screw types

Post by Klinkin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:18 pm

There's a discussion of replacement screws here. From what I gather from it, the screws used in MMS bodies are proprietary screws and not a standard type.

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks, but from what I'm gathering, they're talking about the screws holding the body together - I mean the fasteners that hold the joints on - the emphasis on the picture is on the leg screw, not a joint.

Xehn
Kamen Adminder
Shinkis owned: 33
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio

Post by Xehn » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:29 pm

The elbows and knees are not screws, they're rivets. You won't be getting those out safely.

Mobius
Class A Shinki

Post by Mobius » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks for the info... damn that is rather worrying.

Canthros
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Canthros » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:44 pm

You may be able to drill a rivet out, but! you'd need a drill bit slightly larger than the hole the rivet is secured in, and you would need to be very careful. On the upside, you shouldn't need to drill all the way through the rivet, just enough to cut off the expanded end of the rivet from the rest of it. You may be able to replace them with a "pop rivet": I'm not sure there's enough space for the nut you'd need with a button screw (I'm not sure if there are pop rivets in an appropriate size or rating, either, but that's where I'd start looking).

Having said all that, this is pretty far outside my specialty (I write software, and don't do much mechanical tinkering). If I were trying to do this, I'd probably start by buying a job lot of scrapped Shinki parts someplace for experimentation.

rantinan
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 100
MMS owned: 17
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Every Straf

Post by rantinan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:33 pm

To further:
the biggest problem with drilling rivets out of a plastic toy is the metal is harder than the plastic. If you use to high powered a drill you will just rip the plastic. IF you use a hand drill it's going to take a LONG time and you still risk a jam and plastic tearing.
the best way is to use a very slow speed (such as a cordless screwdriver) an a VIPERbit or similar precision cutting tipped bit to chop of the rivet head.
Once the head is removed you can then take the rest of the rivet out with a punch.

Canthros
Class A Shinki
MMS owned: 1

Post by Canthros » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:12 am

D'oh. That's an excellent point. (Like I said, way outside my wheelhouse.)

Caterwaul
News Reporter

Post by Caterwaul » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 am

Why do you want to replace the rivets, anyways? We might be able to suggest an alternative.

MrHolister
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Vitulus

Post by MrHolister » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:01 am

Caterwaul wrote:Why do you want to replace the rivets, anyways? We might be able to suggest an alternative.
I believe he is trying to make copy shinkis. Not bootleg copies of original designs, but I seem to remember he wants to make molds so he can do custom stuff. I had a similar interest when I first joined.. but now I am just making unique accessories and body components, not entire shinkis..

I hope I am correct in assuming that is what he meant. I am curious also what one would do if you needed to replace the rivet for a joint...
Shinkis for sale or trade!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2119