How did you get started?

Questions and discussion on all things related to Busou Shinki & MMS toys.

Moderator: Caterwaul

O2P9
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 6
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf

Re: How did you get started?

Post by O2P9 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:05 pm

For me it was back in Jan 2009. I had been lurking on TFW for awhile, checking the news and occasionally looking at the customs and fanart. One day I was browsing the fanart, when I saw a certain user's sig (puppylove's). I immediately wanted the blue-haired girl in the pic. I knew nothing about her, except that I wanted her. After not being able to find anything by searching the Internet, I gave up and went back to my normal TF only browsing. A little later, I was looking a TFW's homepage and on the sidebar I saw SD's comic title. I thought it was weird and decided to check it out. I read through it and found out what these things were and that the blue-haired girl was Strarf. I knew I wanted to get a Shinki, but for some reason I wasn't convinced to get Strarf. I joined TFW and then I found and read Pol's comic. With that I knew I was going to have to get Strarf. And in March I did. And now I have 6 Strarfs.

rubixbox
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: You mean owned or..?

Post by rubixbox » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:50 am

O2P9 wrote:For me it was back in Jan 2009. I had been lurking on TFW for awhile, checking the news and occasionally looking at the customs and fanart. One day I was browsing the fanart, when I saw a certain user's sig (puppylove's). I immediately wanted the blue-haired girl in the pic. I knew nothing about her, except that I wanted her. After not being able to find anything by searching the Internet, I gave up and went back to my normal TF only browsing. A little later, I was looking a TFW's homepage and on the sidebar I saw SD's comic title. I thought it was weird and decided to check it out. I read through it and found out what these things were and that the blue-haired girl was Strarf. I knew I wanted to get a Shinki, but for some reason I wasn't convinced to get Strarf. I joined TFW and then I found and read Pol's comic. With that I knew I was going to have to get Strarf. And in March I did. And now I have 6 Strarfs.
Only six? Knowing your obsession with that girl, I was expecting you to have a much larger Strarf ha-I mean army. :biggrin:

Chalkred
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
Favorite MMS/Shinki: probably Gabrine

Post by Chalkred » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:35 am

rubixbox wrote:Only six? Knowing your obsession with that girl, I was expecting you to have a much larger Strarf ha-I mean army. :biggrin:
it would be either 6, 66, or 666. hes a sensible person,really.

O2P9
Class A Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf

Post by O2P9 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:35 pm

rubixbox wrote:Only six? Knowing your obsession with that girl, I was expecting you to have a much larger Strarf ha-I mean army. :biggrin:
Oh, I plan on making my har-er, army grow a lot larger.

Storm Wing
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 3
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Asuka

Post by Storm Wing » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:44 am

Used to lurk in here, so might as well share my stories...

There I was, in a hobby shop in Jakarta, a place for me to hangout with my friends. I was reading a Dengeki Hobby magz when i saw an article with MaoChao, Howling, & WaffleBunny picture in that page. Cursed i am, a month later, saw a pic of Benio. Since then, i nuked my wallet for Shinkis. Thank GOD i quit Shinkis for a while, because i'm concentrating on other lines (*cough*FigmaRevoltechTransformers*cough*)
Cut! Cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut CUT!!
Spin the vermin, reverse the guilt. Reverse the birth, reverse the world. Spin spin spinspinspinSPIN~~~!

Epicusername
Class C Shinki

Post by Epicusername » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:45 am

Polencus' TFW Photocomic got me into shinkis, and I broke down after a while and ordered Arnval. I still remember when I ordered her, was at a family party on vacation. So I was browsing amazon, noticed Arnval was dropping in stock, and some of the other shinkis I wanted had gone out of stock prior to that, so I called my mom, told her to order Arnval for me and that I'd pay her back when I got home :*)

ArcticKitsune
Class S Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Renge & Kohiru

Post by ArcticKitsune » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:35 pm

All thanks to Persocom for me. One review after another I saw Shinkis and thought how ugly they were with the screws showing on the back. I also saw poor old Benio one month after another stuck at my local anime shop thinking how complicated and model-like she was. Just kept insulting the Shinkis within my mind, ignoring them from one review after another. I just kept being prodded and was shown Renge - Type Ninetails/Fox - because she was a type fox, a suitable fox for my blog. This was months before her release during Spring.

I was then shown Battle Rondo and gave Fubuki a whirl. I don't know how exactly, but I got hooked on it gradually. After this experience I probably fully realized that my Anime store actually had Benio so I purchased her, pre-ordered Renge, bought Kohiru in fall, obtained Renge, and purchased Tsugaru.

Benio - being my first - actually surprised me quite a lot with her articulation over Figmas. The articulation and everything simply outweighed the cons for me. I understood the hate, just found the hate overly bias. Sure, the armor is stress-causing, but her beauty still shown to those with an open mind. Kohiru's innocent, yet traditional appearance, bought me over fully even before Renge actually arrived causing me to go deep into Busou Shinki. As for Renge? I found her very beautiful (thanks to her passive fox beauty trait) and very very photogenic. Simple, beautiful, and very elegant - like a fox. Wasn't disappointed with the purchase, only with the fact that Renge had an accident causing the 9-tailed ponytail to break all thanks to an air bubble in the peg...Her Battle Rondo personality is insanely amusing. For those that put Renge down deserve to suffer XD.

I see I was bias myself when I thought Shinkis were ugly...They're the most beautiful thing in my collection. Now I'm basically trying to take images or share reviews of them whenever I can to spread the love. Saw a lack of it (love) on some sites so I tried adding them onto figure.fm, MFC, deviant and flickr.

I then made it my goal to purchase Fubuki (got) and Mizuki (got newer form). The rest is just me enjoying the Busou Shinki line.

In short: I was shown Renge which caused me to go into Battle Rondo and purchase Benio, Kohiru, and Tsugaru before the year ended.
Last edited by ArcticKitsune on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valderonce
MMS Naked
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Artille

Post by Valderonce » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:56 pm

This friendly gentleman here.
It's his fault i'm into Shinki now.

Onore Shikaze !

NaitoNii
Class C Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2

Post by NaitoNii » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:02 pm

My step into Busou Shinki was all thanks to Arctic and his constant blabbering about Shinkis on Figure.FM and I eventually followed his blog and looked at the Diorama pictures/Battle Rondo pictures he kept posting.

I really like how the characters looked in the game and his pictures with Renge were very amusing to look at. For some reason Benio appealed so much to me that I just needed to have her. Probably because she's a Female Samurai :benio: And of course, a certain picture of her from Arctic's Diorama Studio gave me that final nudge I needed.

So I looked like crazy over the Internet and I finally found Benio on Back-Order @ AmiAmi and ordered her. Arctic warned me about her armor being a bit of a pain to work with, and I had to agree on that part. I was trying to get the armor on her so bad that I eventually said to my mom: "I don't think I have ever felt like I was sexually harassing a figure before. Until today." She had a good laugh out of it.

I just love the pose ability the body has compared to a Figma and even though she looks out-dated, it's still a great figure to have. I'm still looking into getting other Shinki figures. But as a poor(read: broke) student, getting them is a bit hard :P

At the moment I still got my eyes on Cruiser Type MMS Jill Rivers and Racer Type MMS Estorili. So here's hoping I can get those two at a decent price and not $120 ;p

Sonja
Class S Shinki

Post by Sonja » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:04 pm

First time I saw Shinkis was the original NA release, I think it was linked on the Pinky Street forum I went to. I remember seeing the Battle Rondo intro video and then checked out the prices - too expensive for me! So I forgot about them for a few years.

I can't remember why or how I found shinkis again but looking through them several just.. spoke to me. I started entirely with light armors - Werkstra, Valona and Partio. Then I got Pomock. Yda was my first full armor, and then Altlene. I also brought home black Werkstra.

After that it just kind of snowballed to where I am now!