Klinkin's Shinki Lab: Updated for the holidays!

For showing off your Busou Shinki & MMS toys

Moderators: Deviant Anomaly, halconfenix

Zenislez
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 12
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Erica, Tear, Riela

Re: Klinkin's Shinki Lab: Better Horribly Late Than Never

Post by Zenislez » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Wow, really nice Klin. Like how you take time to take pics while assembling. I tend not to remember to take pics when assembling XP.

So...
Eukrythæ prefers to be on the offense while Æeta prefer to be on the defensive side?
"Motto Shiawase Ni Naru"

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Post by Klinkin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:04 am

Zenislez wrote:So...
Eukrythæ prefers to be on the offense while Æeta prefer to be on the defensive side?
Actually the opposite; Æeta's air superiority and ground attack, 'Rythæ's better at detection and electronic warfare. That said, she's also the one of the pair more interested in large guns; Æeta prefers missiles.

Klinkin
Class S Shinki

Post by Klinkin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:21 pm

And bump. Now that I've got a bit of time, I'm going to start working through my backlog of photoshoots. First, something that anyone has frequented CBox has probably heard me talk about: my Frame Musume project. Here's some pictures of me and the girls putting together a RAcaseal, a very Shinki-like kit from Kotobukiya; it happens to be modeled by Apsy, same as the MMS base bodies. Thanks to ZeroEdge for finding it; you can see his own use of it as a base body for customs over in his excellent thread.
The RAcaseal Redria kit actually lets you build two subtly different sizes; I built the smaller of the two, which stands somewhere between an MMS3rd Tall and MMS3rd Small. All of which are shorter than 'Rythæ and other MMS1sts.
Image[/URL]
While RAcaseals don't have the unique hips Shinki do, they do have a combination ball joint and pivot, giving them a good amount of flexibility, as 'Rythæ demonstrates below.
They have a small flap on a hinge that makes up the outer hip that gives them a pretty good leg bend. Also, they have ball-jointed thighs. Not hips (though those are ball-jointed too), but ball-jointed thigh swivels.

Now, while this isn't how I'm planning to implement the Frame Musume base, I decided to have some fun after I found out that RAcaseals and Frame Arms share some peg sizes.
The size is almost perfect; if I could link the two at the limbs, the whole thing would still be relatively flexible, thanks to the double joints of the Frame Architect.
From the side.
Just need a flag to plant on top of the crate.

Since Konami has deprived us of bikers, I decided to go ahead and make my own. Here's some test shots with the raw materials:
When I was transforming the Wilber Nine back into robot mode, his hands (taken from a spare Architect) were positioned like such, and thus was Meowber Nine born in my mind. The final form is going to have cat ears and may be quadrupedal if I can figure out how.

oOnyaOo
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 14
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling and Partio

Re: Klinkin's Shinki Lab: Update Sept 25

Post by oOnyaOo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Oh wow she looks wonderful! I never realized you could choose to build her a different height! That's pretty cool!
Avalon Jane
| My Flickr | My Tumblr | My Facebook |
Keep Moving Forward

Klinkin
Class S Shinki

Post by Klinkin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Yeah, the Redria comes with quite a few options. Not only is the body different, but the legs, hips, shoulders, and forearms are also slightly shorter for the short version, and you can build four different hairstyles, two different skirts...basically, all the benefits of a kit that's the fifth or so in a line of variations, and as such has a bunch of legacy parts on sprue. If they included a few more parts, you could build two with one kit.

Another thing I have on the back burner is digitigrade legs; thanks goes to Xehn for the idea of using Frame Arms as a skeleton. I expect to use something like this for a later project; for now, have some prototyping pictures.
I needed to use a Spiral Crusher to make up for the fact that it only has parts for one arm.
From the side. That thing's heavy; needed to put one leg way forward to get it to stand.
'Rythæ for scale. Pardon the glare.
'Rythæ trying them on. She likes the height boost.

Klinkin
Class S Shinki

Post by Klinkin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:46 pm

So...oops. It's been over a year. I've been hard at work, and today I have not one, but two Frame Musumes to show off!
Both still need a coat of paint, but their existing colors work surprisingly well. That said, Kotobukiya really likes red kits.

The Redria/Wilbur Nine has already appeared here, but now she can actually wear her armor instead of just riding it. I still need to make a few modifications to make it easier to get some pieces on and off her, and her thigh joints need to be tightened; her legs have a tendency to fall off. I'd also like to completely replace her head with a custom print if I get the chance so I can give her some expression.

I need to tighten some joints (and hopefully find her other shoulder frame) before I do anything fancy with poses.

My other new girl is a combination of an Aka Onihime Shiki and a Magatsuki-Houten. I based her design on that of a Strarf, and I think it worked pretty well. She's probably going to get a helmet, but not a new head; she's unfortunately going to join any Gourai-chans in the "stuck in serious face" club.

Thanks to Xehn for the idea of using a Frame Arms torso for the arm mounts, though I had to do a lot of fiddling to make it work well.

The default Frame Arms hands seemed small, so I gave her some larger hands left over from a Kobold. I'd like to use some of Bandai's emotion manipulators, but I don't have any extra pairs.

I'm also reminded why I haven't been taking nearly as many pictures recently: phone cameras suck. I also need to find a good source of natural-looking light.

Bonus group shot. I think the new girls fit in pretty well.