ZeroEdge's Mods: Harute Otoha (04/01/17)

For showing off your Busou Shinki & MMS toys

Moderators: Deviant Anomaly, halconfenix

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Re: ZeroEdge's Stuff: Maya's Gear Upgrade

Post by Klinkin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 am

I like the lightbox. It definitely gives a more professional look. I don't know about what kind of light you usually get, but the ambient light for that shooting seemed fine to me.

ZeroEdge
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
MMS owned: 11
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Noire, Ayu and Yuuko

Re: ZeroEdge's Stuff: Maya's Gear Upgrade

Post by ZeroEdge » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:16 am

royalpain88 wrote:Oh wow. She is so nice looking.
Takashi wrote:Maya is now a really deadly opponent!
Thanks, and she's gonna be even better once she gets her personalized weapons. :headbang:
Klinkin wrote:I like the lightbox. It definitely gives a more professional look. I don't know about what kind of light you usually get, but the ambient light for that shooting seemed fine to me.
Image shopping works wonders... thank goodness! :cheesygrin:

================================================================================================================

Now, with my girls' armors fully customized, I've started moving on to personalizing weaponry. Maya's is next, Laika is still waiting for Kotobukiya MSG Impact Knuckles, and the rest are still being selected...

Speaking of personalized weapons, here's Rina with Nadleeh's rifle and Nebula Blitz' gun-shield, both modded for shinki hands and such.

Personalized means for each shinki's exclusive use, so no stealing! :cheesygrin:

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Shinkis owned: 32
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval

Re: ZeroEdge's Stuff: Rina's Gear FINAL

Post by halconfenix » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:38 pm

awesome Customs ZE! congrats!

i'm going to take this chance and ask for advice...

i would like to make some custom gear for valona... but painting.... well...

so i would like to know which gunpla would be better for her (as long as it is easy to mod and... be already black)

any ideas?

ZeroEdge
Class S Shinki

Post by ZeroEdge » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:49 pm

halconfenix wrote:awesome Customs ZE! congrats!

i'm going to take this chance and ask for advice...

i would like to make some custom gear for valona... but painting.... well...

so i would like to know which gunpla would be better for her (as long as it is easy to mod and... be already black)

any ideas?
If I had a Valona, I would give her custom armor out of sleek-looking gunpla (with very good articulation) since she is supposed to be 'sexy' (i.e. 00 qan[t], Gundam 00, Exia Repair II, Astraea, Beginning Gundam series, etc.) though some may need modding to connect them to her upper arm and thigh joints ranging from simple polycap replacement to removing material and using putty (there are mini-tutorials found in this thread... somewhere... :P ).

There are some black and other dark-colored gunpla that you can use (Unicorn Banshee (both versions), Gaia Gundam, Overflag, Blitz Gundam, Master Gundam, any Titans-themed gunpla from HGUC, etc.) but in the end, it's your choice depending on what type of look you want for a Valona.

Back then I used flat-black spray paint to color Noir's 00 Gundam parts (refer to the very first few pages of this thread). Any colored gunpla doesn't stand a chance against a good spraying of flat-black paint (I keep stressing FLAT-BLACK, or matte black 'cause I like the matte finish). I recommend using Bosny flat-black acrylic epoxy since it doesn't need any priming, based on my personal experience. You don't need any special skills when spray-painting, just refer to good how-to guides out there. If you know how to air-brush, then better (I wish I know how to... and to have a kit of my own...).

Here's a little breakdown of selected gunpla that I would use for Valona:

Sleek (minor mods, but needs paint)
  • 00 qan[t] (very much recommended)
  • 00 Raiser / Seven Sword (also very much recommended)
  • Beginning Gundam (any variant)
  • Exia Repair II
  • Gundam AGE-1
  • some Gundam AGE series Vagan units (Dorado, etc.)
Sleek (more mods and needs paint)
  • Astraea
  • Exia
Heavy Armored (minor mods, but needs paint IMO)
  • Master Gundam (but kinda bulky...)
  • Genoace
Heavy Armored (MAJOR mods)
  • Unicorn Banshee
  • Unicorn Banshee D-Mode (difficult to make, but result is gonna be awesome, Noir has Unicorn Gundam D-Mode arms and once used the legs. Only complaint is that it made her too tall.)
Note that this list is made from the gunpla that I already own or have extensively checked out. There may be more out there that I haven't looked at yet.

Another note, I want a Valona... :P

Lock Cade
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 56
MMS owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf, Partio

Post by Lock Cade » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:13 am

Oh wow, all of your custom work is just awesome!

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper

Post by halconfenix » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:19 pm

ZeroEdge wrote:Heavy Armored (minor mods, but needs paint IMO)

ok! i'm going with this one (plus horse!) already placed an order and see how it goes... so what kind of mods should i do to make the arms and legs shinki-compatible?

ZeroEdge wrote:Another note, I want a Valona... :P
funny thing, i actually have 2... or should i say "had"? because the 2nd is called now "waffedolphin" :P

ZeroEdge
Class S Shinki

Post by ZeroEdge » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36 pm

halconfenix wrote:
ZeroEdge wrote:Heavy Armored (minor mods, but needs paint IMO)

ok! i'm going with this one (plus horse!) already placed an order and see how it goes... so what kind of mods should i do to make the arms and legs shinki-compatible?
For the upper arm joint, remove the peg to its base then drill a hole large enough for the shinki arm peg to fit in snugly (same way I did with 00 Raiser's arms). Just be careful not to drill too much material, but in case you do, you can repair it with putty (I use epoxy putty, but any tough putty will do, IMO).

As for the legs, reduce or remove the inner peg, as it will get in the way of the shinki thigh peg. Then fill in the entire space inside with putty (that will hold the gunpla thigh shell in place as well), and while it dries grab your shinki's thigh part, wet it slightly with water (to prevent the putty from sticking to it prematurely) and carefully sink the thigh peg into the putty (I did this for Unicorn D-Mode legs). That should leave a hole good enough for the shinki thigh peg to fit in. You can reset as long as the putty isn't totally dried up, but only do so once or twice. If you end up with a hole too big, repair it with some more putty, or do the super glue trick to tighten the joint. Just remove excess putty after drying.

There you have it. Whenever anyone needs advice on modding gunpla parts for shinkis, just feel free to ask and I'll reply as soon as I can. And if I have the same gunpla model on hand, I'll take pics of it for you as well. If I don't have them, then I'll just try to explain it as much as I can.

And halconfenix, don't forget to mod Fuunsaiki as well. I won't have to explain how as I just browsed the net for instructions on how to do it (forgot which site, sorry).

Minor WIP's I have ATM: a BIGGA lightbox, Maya's Final Form and personalized gear photoshoot (after lighbox), and Zelda's new custom armor (going for a futuristic knight look, suggestions needed...).
Last edited by ZeroEdge on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper

Post by halconfenix » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 pm

heh... will have to get a small drill for this... never worked with putty before so i'll have to look for alternatives just in case... i dont want to screw up valona so...

anyway thanks for the tips!

Takashi
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 10
Favorite MMS/Shinki: ACH

Post by Takashi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 am

ZeroEdge wrote:
Minor WIP's I have ATM: a BIGGA lightbox, Maya's Final Form and personalized gear photoshoot (after lightbox), and Zelda's new custom armor (going for a futuristic knight look, suggestions needed...).
Tower shield with built in weapons? Maybe modify GP02s shield, to store several swords or even a cannon fodder? I'll of some ideas during work and post more in the evening.

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Post by Klinkin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 pm

For a futuristic knight look, I'd recommend a few things that seem to work in my sketches; the entire design should be more streamlined and angular, in my experience. Most fantasy armor is rather decorative, but replace most of the bitz with futuristic-looking bitz. For example, I'd replace the wings on her helm with antenna (maybe something along the lines of Tau antenna from Warhammer 40k). Also, if you can get guitar strings, they make good tubes/hoses/wires. Little circuit designs or highlights (TVTropes calls them "Tron Lines") look good, too. As for weapons, well, anything you've got in your huge collection of Gundam bitz should work, but in my opinion, you should avoid beam sabers and use a solid sword. For the lance, some gears on it (like EVA-05) wouldn't be out of place. Really, there's a whole lot of reference material out there; I'd just look through sci-fi works for things that just seem to fit well.