Rubix's Shinki collection/reviews

For showing off your Busou Shinki & MMS toys

Moderators: Deviant Anomaly, halconfenix

rubixbox
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 4
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: You mean owned or..?

Rubix's Shinki collection/reviews

Post by rubixbox » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Hello all.

Well, I've got my first Shinki: Welkstra. Since I've got nowhere to be tonight :D , I've decided I'll do a *KOFF*"little" review of her. These are the opinions of someone who's totally excited about getting his first Shinki, so don't get annoyed if I start gushing. :D

*WARNING* HUGE WALL OF TEXT AND LOTS OF PICTURES. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

First off, the box (Because I want to be thorough. :schmetterling: )
It's very basic: The front, obviously, shows off the little lady herself, along with her accessories. I got her Thursday, so everything's been removed already.

The side of the box shows off the Shinki's gear, and advertises Battle Rondo. Amusingly, the ad shows Xiphos and Benio fighting with each other, instead of, say, Arnval and Strarf.

The back has a staple of these figures: Welkstra's artwork. She's pretty badass in this shot, like she's boosting toward some danger in full action mode.

Alright, let's cut to the chase: Here's the star herself:
Welkstra is extremely posable, with about 23 points of articulation: Five in each extremity, one in the torso, and surprisingly, two in the neck. She's got near human articulation (The ankles don't move from side-to-side). As a side note, she looks like Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion, doesn't she?

Something else that's noticeable is that she's rather tall:

If I had to guess, the MMS tall body is about six inches tall. Welkstra towers over shorter TFs, like Soundwave, and outsizes the Figmas by maybe an inch, while larger TFs manage to look down on them, even if only a little bit.

Welk's gear consists of a few bits of armor, her weapon and her alternate face and hair. Something to note is that Shinki faces are apparently alternate HEADS. While this does allow them to have different hairstyles, it makes swapping faces tedious.

"Alas, poor Shinki, I knew her well....."

Now that that's out of the way, let's go to the main course: The full armor mode.
"Type Commando-Angel, POWER UP!"

In my humble opinion, Welkstra's armored mode is brilliant. It takes her big sister Arnval's "Angel" motif and gives it a rather realistic and practical twist: The wings and boosters are now jump jets, the BFG is now a rather intimidating rifle, and she's got herself a shield to defend herself. Reminds me of Superman's first appearance, when he could only jump good instead of flight. I'd honestly imagine running into her on the street sometime in the near future than, say, the girl wearing wings and lugging around a huge-ass laser cannon.

The rifle is a neat weapon: In addition to looking cool, it has a bayonet that can be detached and used as a knife. the downside of this is that the thing doesn't like to stay on the rifle if it's moved about.

Welkstra's visor can be removed:

All in all, Welkstra's a very good Shinki and a good choice for a "first ever". I'd say "Buy her", but I'm sure most of you have done just that.

And now, More pictures, because I haven't included enough Already: :D

"You have the right to remain silent. If you can't keep your mouth shut, I will shut it for you."

Fighting with Megatron:

Relaxing after a hard day at work:

Hugs! ^_^

Something I whipped up in photoshop:

Chalkred
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
Favorite MMS/Shinki: probably Gabrine

Re: Rubix's Shinki collection/reviews

Post by Chalkred » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:02 am

she was m'first of the line as well. : ) I also wrote about here somewhere.
Cool insight ; )

Sonja
Class S Shinki

Post by Sonja » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:33 am

Nice! =3 I love seeing Werkstras. A small tip though - if you have a Macro setting on your camera (usually a little flower) you should use it for the closeups =) It should help with the blurriness.

rubixbox
Class S Shinki

Post by rubixbox » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 am

Sonja wrote:Nice! =3 I love seeing Werkstras. A small tip though - if you have a Macro setting on your camera (usually a little flower) you should use it for the closeups =) It should help with the blurriness.
Really? So that's what it's for! :P
This should help with photocomic making. Thanks.

Benio
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 61

Post by Benio » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:16 pm

good review. Werkstra is a fun figure. Any idea who you are going to do next (ie what is the next figure you want to buy)?

rubixbox
Class S Shinki

Post by rubixbox » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:32 pm

Benio wrote:good review. Werkstra is a fun figure. Any idea who you are going to do next (ie what is the next figure you want to buy)?
A lot of it depends on how much money I'll get in the next two months and the availability of the Shinki in question, but unless I stumble on a Shinki somewhere in Florida, I can hazard that my next figure will be Baby Razz.

rubixbox
Class S Shinki

Post by rubixbox » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Hello, again. I've got an addendum to the review. I probably don't have to do this, but I don't care; it's my topic. :D

Welkstra's actually got some other things in her box, along with her gear. First, there's this:
It's a part tree. None of these parts are used on her armor, so I suppose it's used to connect other Shinki parts to her. For the record, I dislike plastic trees, seeing them as a necessary evil when building model kits.

Next is this little beauty.
This is Welkstra's code card. All Shinki have one, and it's used to download them into Battle Rondo, the online game that lets you pit your Armored God Princess against other players around the globe, and Diorama Studio, used to pose Shinki in cute pictures (it's basically rendering software). I should note that some Shinkis will only work in one app or the other, so be careful.

Welkstra's become my favorite toy; she's adorable without being a BLADE Shinki, and she's very reminiscent of her big sister, Arnval. She suffers from a lack of a melee weapon other than the bayonet, but she's still a very good figure, especially from a famous video gam company.

and NO, I'm not signing up for Battle Rondo. Not getting sucked into it. :D

Sonja
Class S Shinki

Post by Sonja » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Hehe, well the reason she doesn't have much melee is because she's most comfortable with ranged weapons. I think she can use knives okay, but she doesn't seem to know what to do with swords. Just my experience from raising two Werkstras in Rondo. X3

I don't like parts trees either, but every shinki comes with a tree of extra connectors 'just in case', I suppose. I know I used a few when playing with different setups for my Altlene and Altines.

rubixbox
Class S Shinki

Post by rubixbox » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:29 pm

I got bored, so more Shinki pics!

First is "Angel Retro Mode" (intended to resemble Arnval's Jetpack):

Bludgeon being creepy:
*CRUNCH*
"....."
"Are you okay? Hello?"

I felt bad for her after that, so I gave her a little pet:
Any bionicle fans will note that this little bug is definitely NOT a good choice for a pet, but what the hey.

"That creature is evil! IT MUST DIE!"
"AUGH! NOT YOU!"

Five minutes later.....

Hylian Pirate
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 31
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by Hylian Pirate » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:18 pm

I really love Werkstra's winged mode. Very cool. In fact, I may have to try that out... I personally believe that angels should have wings, you know?