Rubix's Shinki collection/reviews

For showing off your Busou Shinki & MMS toys

Moderators: Deviant Anomaly, halconfenix

rubixbox
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 4
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: You mean owned or..?

Re: Rubix's Shinki collection/reviews

Post by rubixbox » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Have some pictures of my Shinkis messing with Metroplex and his crew.

Arnval: So why exactly are we posing like this, again?
Viewfinder: It's...uh...it's representative of how Metroplex and his crew are capable of dealing with threats on the land, sea, and air! Yeah, that's it.
Ianeira: But you don't have any aquatic troops in your crew, and I've never seen this battle station enter the water. Plus, none of us are even part of the crew, anyway. If you wanted to show your crew dealing with threats of all kinds, wouldn't make more sense take photographs of them fighting those threats?
Viewfinder: Just shut up and pose. -_-|

Fubuki: Aawww, aren't you the cutest.

Fubuki: Master, I would like to keep this one as a sparring partner.
Master: You'll have to ask Scamper if you can take her first.

Fubuki: Come along now, sweetheart. Let's go find Scamper.
(For the record, Scamper said no.)

Kohiru: Kawaii...
Spyglass: This is really embarrassing. A respected scout unit, reduced to a tweve-year-old's dollie.
Viewfinder: Oh, you think that's embarrassing, do you? At least you're not getting molested by giant tentacles!
Maryceles:...And I'll hug you and squeeze you and call you George and then I'm going to change my mind and rename you Ralph and I'll cuddle you and squeeze you and tickle you and love you and have tea parties with you and take you on walks and put you in a cage with newspaper shreddings and sawdust on the bottom and an hamster wheel and one of those water bottle thingamajigs and...
Spectro: Actually, this isn't that bad. It's like a little seat, and it even has cushions for my head!
Viewfinder and Spyglass:....
Spectro: What?

Surprise attack on Fort Metroplex!

Zenislez
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 12
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Erica, Tear, Riela

Post by Zenislez » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:39 pm

The more I look at it, the more I think.

Dang it, that guy is HUGE.
"Motto Shiawase Ni Naru"

RokuShinkiMaster
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 15
MMS owned: 21
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Raptias, Proxima,

Post by RokuShinkiMaster » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 am

These pictures are soo cool!
Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

rubixbox
Class S Shinki

Post by rubixbox » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:40 pm

So, I got a new Shinki.

So, that means a new Shinki review!

Before I go onto the actual review, I want to talk about the box artwork really quick.
Compared to the box art of past Shinki figures, Lirbiete's art is a bit more crude. The lines on the drawing seem more scratchy and less polished. It looks kind of like a colored design sketch or a piece of fanart; fitting, since from what I can gather from my research online (Read: five minutes on the Gradius Wiki), I think Lirbiete and her wavemate may have been concieved as part of a Shinki design contest. You may correct me if I'm wrong. :P

Onto the Shinki herself:
Honestly, as far as Shinkis go, Lirbiete is kind of generic. Yes, Lirbiete is cute, and yes, her outfit is has a lot of neat details (including having her own pair of shoes, much like many other Shinkis). However, in the past, the Shinki line has seen a lot of really, really adorable Shinkis (such as the BLADE-designed girls), to which poor Lirbiete can't really compare. Like I said, she is cute, but her cuteness is more generic.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said that in front of Lirbiete. Sorry.
Would it help if I said that the armor she comes with helps to makes up for some of the base Shinki's shortcomings?

Yes, Lirbiete is type Vic Viper, based on the famous starfighter from the Gradius franchise. Naturally, she comes with armor parts that can be used to construct a replica of said ship. Let's take a look at it, shall we?

Okay, technically, I'm lying here. Lirbiete doesn't come packed with her own Vic Viper; No, the ship that she comes with is the Lord British, the second-player red ship which debuted in the game Salamander/Life Force (which is where we got the name LirBiete from), as well as the creator of the Ultima franchise (wait, wrong Lord British). While the design is a little different, kind of looking like an F-22 Raptor, but it is recognizable as the Vic Viper...Ironic, since the Lord British doesn't look like the Vic Viper (It doesn't have those two prongs on the fuselage). The ship is very detailed, right down to including emblems and warning decals on the wings and missile pods. It also has connector ports on the wings, just in case you want to add more weapons or attach a handle for Lirbiete to hold if you want her to ride on it.

Unfortunately, this brings me to an issue I have with this thing: Why the hell does it not have any Options? You know, the little satellite things that follow the player ships around in the Gradius games? That's a pretty important part of the ship that you're leaving out, Konami.

Of course, being an accessory for a Busou Shinki, the Lord British isn't just a starfighter for her to ride on, so let's take a look at Lirbiete's armored mode:
Uh...That's not Lirbiete's armored mode.
Yep, taking a page from Zone of the Enders, Lirbiete's companion ship transforms into a robot. The thing even resembles the Vic Viper from Z.O.E., though this version looks less futuristic/alien, and it doesn't have quite as large a cockpit shlong. =3
Also, I should point out that there is absolutely no partsforming required for the Lord British to change modes (aside from attaching the weapons to its arms, but that's not essential for the transformation). The transformation is a very simple matter of extending the knees, rotating the lower body down, flipping out the head, separating the arms from the wings, and rotating everything into place.

The mecha's primary weapon is a large arm-mounted sword/shield combination, kind of like Arnval Mk. 2's giant sword weapon. Kind of a strange weapon for a ship that uses primarily lasers, missiles, and bullets, but it's kind of fitting for the ship with the knightly-sounding name to have a knightly weapon.

The ship also has a beam saber attachment which can plug into the holes in the center of the missile pods/hands. I can't show it off, since it unfortunately snapped when I tried to take it out of the robot's hand. Instead, I'll show what it was supposed to look like in the instructions:

Unfortunately, as awesome as the mecha is, there is one major flaw to it: Once you put the robot together, Lirbiete is left unarmed, with only the armored mode's chest piece and the shoes to use. Sure, you could give her the robot's sword (after all, being based on a starfighter that routinely tears through invasion fleets, alien monsters, killer moai, and disappointing end bosses like they're nothing, it should have enough armaments to take care of itself), but that's it. I suspect that the idea behind this is that, while Lirbiete's armor is in robot form, Lirbiete herself would then be equipped with another set of Shinki armor, effectively allowing her to use two armor sets at once.

Speaking of the armored mode, let's get Lirbiete armored up. First, attach the armored chestpiece and headpiece (which I didn't do until later)...

Attach the special back connector...Image

Take the lower legs off of the robot and attach them to Lirbiete's legs...

Remove the cockpit and transform the Lord British like this...

Attach the Lord British to Lirbiete's back...

And finally, plug the cockpit into Lirbiete's armored chestpiece.

Oh, and plug the sword into the handle attachment, and place it into her hand like so:

And Voila! Instant armored Shinki!

Lirbiete's armored mode looks an awful lot like something out of Triggerheart Exeleca (I'd say it's another Konami reference to round out the armor's three modes, but Triggerheart Exeleca was made by a different company). I feel that this is the weakest mode of the three. Sure, it looks cool, but Lirbiete suffers the problem of not being able to close her legs due to the leg armor getting in the way (though, given that she's all dressed to kick ass, she's probably going to spend most of her time in action poses, so not being able to close her legs isn't that big of a deal). The cockpit on her chest likes to get in the way of her arms, which also makes posing difficult. Also, not only is most of the armor just a big backpack, it likes to pop out of the connector port on the back, and it's kind of hard to get it to stay in for a few minutes.

In addition to the sword, Lirbiete can also wield the missile pods of the ship as handheld weapons, allowing her to use the lightsaber/laser blast weapon (which, again, I ended up snapping off due to my bottomless stupidity).

So, there's Lirbiete. Final thoughts?

Well, she's okay. The Shinki is nice, but the best part of the entire set is really the Lord British transformer. If you're a fan Gradius (or maybe ZOE), you might like her. If not, you might like her anyway, but you might be a little bit less forgiving of her flaws.

Also, here's a bonus picture. No Maryceles this time, but Baby Razz instead:

Mechhounds
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Benio

Post by Mechhounds » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Nice review.

Shikaze
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 9
MMS owned: 9
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf

Post by Shikaze » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Well, I'll have to wait for december for another order, but there's a way to cheat. Get a 1/144 HG Red Frame, and cannibalize it for part to make an armor for Lirbiete. And presto, you'll have both an armoured shinki and her ship :cheesygrin:

RokuShinkiMaster
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 15
MMS owned: 21
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Raptias, Proxima,

Post by RokuShinkiMaster » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:46 pm

AWWWWW! SHE IS SOOO CUTE!
Most adorable poutie / angry face ever!

Zenislez
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 12
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Erica, Tear, Riela

Post by Zenislez » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 am

Shikaze wrote:Well, I'll have to wait for december for another order, but there's a way to cheat. Get a 1/144 HG Red Frame, and cannibalize it for part to make an armor for Lirbiete. And presto, you'll have both an armoured shinki and her ship :cheesygrin:
Dang Shikaze. Stop stealing my ideas.....well, just kidding. Probably just a coincidence that we are thinking of the same thing.

And yes, I also interested in cannibalizing Astray red frame for Ageha (Lirbiete), because I already got the Blue Frame second L for Tateha (Vervietta).
"Motto Shiawase Ni Naru"

rubixbox
Class S Shinki

Post by rubixbox » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Have some Ninja Style Dancing:

Some Pirate Vs. Ninja:

And some giant Shuriken action:

No Maryceles today, but I do have something a little...different.
*Boxorak types "About:Konami" into his browser's address bar and hits Enter*

Mikuo_Hatsune
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 163
MMS owned: 13
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Murmeltier

Post by Mikuo_Hatsune » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:05 pm

Liking the review and Fubuki action shots :)
Don't Follow Me On Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/ODST813