MaidenLili
Class C Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Graffias

How to take decent pictures?

Post by MaidenLili » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 am

Hey all!

As a result of only recently becoming forum active, I find myself in a conundrum: I now have reason to post piccies of my shinki, but have never had any experience at all with photography. Graffias insists, naturally, that she won't appear in any photos unless I make her look glamorous, so I guess I'm outta luck until I figure out how to get this to work out right.

I'm working with an old 2 megapixel digital camera, and all the photos I take seem to turn out rather blurry, despite attempts to provide good lighting and to steady the camera on a pile of sturdy books.

Anybody care to give the poor newbie some toy photography advice?

Thanks a bunch!

~MaidenLili

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Shinkis owned: 32
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval

Re: How to take decent pictures?

Post by halconfenix » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:22 pm

first and foremost: get a tripod and look for a timer function in your camera

2nd: lighting is key factor when taking pics, the more natural light the better

timelord_science
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 3
Favorite MMS/Shinki: SKYGIRL Karen

Post by timelord_science » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Make sure to use the micro/macro function (it's usually a little flower icon) !

Benio
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 61

Post by Benio » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Save your files with the largest file setting your camera uses. This will give you the opportunity to "zoom in" in your pics while using image editing software and not have jaggies in the picture.

Deviant Anomaly
Official Tally Keeper
Shinkis owned: 31
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Gabrine

Post by Deviant Anomaly » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:34 am

MaidenLili wrote:I'm working with an old 2 megapixel digital camera, and all the photos I take seem to turn out rather blurry, despite attempts to provide good lighting and to steady the camera on a pile of sturdy books.
Sounds like you might be getting a little too close to your subject matter and the camera isn't able to focus. I'd pull back a bit and experiment with different distances until you find the clarity you're looking for.

What type of camera are you using?

MaidenLili
Class C Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Graffias

Post by MaidenLili » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:33 am

Hey,

Thanks for the tips, all. I heard about the distance thing in some other forums too and tried it, it seems to work a lot better from a ways further back.

Unfortunately, my camera doesn't have a very good zoom, and the "macro" mode on it produces pretty bad results. I'll post pics later for examples; if anyone's got any advice on macro mode usage that'd be pretty nifty. I've seen it recommended several times, but I have yet to get anything good out of it. For reference, I'm using an old Kodak DC280 Zoom. It's passable, but I'm really thinking of getting a newer one.

~MaidenLili

riltht
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 1
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Karen Sonomiya

Post by riltht » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:50 pm

MaidenLili wrote:Hey,

Thanks for the tips, all. I heard about the distance thing in some other forums too and tried it, it seems to work a lot better from a ways further back.

Unfortunately, my camera doesn't have a very good zoom, and the "macro" mode on it produces pretty bad results. I'll post pics later for examples; if anyone's got any advice on macro mode usage that'd be pretty nifty. I've seen it recommended several times, but I have yet to get anything good out of it. For reference, I'm using an old Kodak DC280 Zoom. It's passable, but I'm really thinking of getting a newer one.

~MaidenLili
For the macro mode, try holding down the shutter button until it becomes clear.(Might not work, but it's worth trying.)

Glace Leau
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 7
Favorite MMS/Shinki: White Strarf

Post by Glace Leau » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 pm

Usually, the point of macro mode is to be able to take pictures of small things closer up. With it on, though, the camera has to be more still. Are you using a tripod/stack of books and/or a timer? And if you're taking pictures from further back the macro won't be too much help.