Talk about other toys we collect.
DurpyDoll
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf MK2 full arms

Dollfies? Or just anime dolls?...

Post by DurpyDoll » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:58 pm

So my birthday is coming in 3 days... I was thinking about getting one of those beautiful ball jointed dolls... Or just a pretty anime-like one. I was wondering if there are any recommendations? Also if they could still be at a reasonable price... I've never owned a ball jointed doll before. Anything I should know before getting one?

Also if I get one I'd prefer one with small or medium breasts, big breasts are... ick. :\
All my girls. :)

DurpyDoll
Class B Shinki

Re: Dollfies? Or just anime dolls?...

Post by DurpyDoll » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Are there any dollfies that are around 100 or 200 dollars? <:\

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 47
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altlene

Post by Shiaoran » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Try adding another 0 to those numbers. $800 is the least I've seen one go for, and that was on pre-orders, because their price inflate fast, going over $2000. The latest 2 Saber Dollfies were sold at $800, but now they're around twice that.
Now, if you want non-characters, they they're a bit cheaper, at $500.

That's for Dollfies. Azone's Hybrid Active Figures and Yamato's VMF50 seem a bit cheaper, but VMFs are all way too busty, and most of them skimpy or plain erotic in nature. Though VMF has only a few characters (that I know of): Super Sonico, Kan'u Unchou, Macross' Lynn Minmay, and Angel Blade.
I don't know any other 1/3 lines that make character figures, only original and generic ones, but they're not as well made as these 3.

If $200 is too much, get this idea out of your mind while you still can.

DurpyDoll
Class B Shinki

Post by DurpyDoll » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Shiaoran wrote:Try adding another 0 to those numbers. $800 is the least I've seen one go for, and that was on pre-orders, because their price inflate fast, going over $2000. The latest 2 Saber Dollfies were sold at $800, but now they're around twice that.
Now, if you want non-characters, they they're a bit cheaper, at $500.

That's for Dollfies. Azone's Hybrid Active Figures and Yamato's VMF50 seem a bit cheaper, but VMFs are all way too busty, and most of them skimpy or plain erotic in nature. Though VMF has only a few characters (that I know of): Super Sonico, Kan'u Unchou, Macross' Lynn Minmay, and Angel Blade.
I don't know any other 1/3 lines that make character figures, only original and generic ones, but they're not as well made as these 3.

If $200 is too much, get this idea out of your mind while you still can.
I checked out Azone dolls at the mandarake website... they are WAY cheaper. :) Like one hundred ish something dollars, awesome! I'm planning on buying this lovely gal right here, http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-871330.html

I heard that obitsu's are extremely compatible with azones dolls. I really want to get one of these wigs to swap hair with this doll, All I know about this doll it that it's a 1/6 scale doll. I don't know its head measurement or anything or if its a medium, small or large. :( I want to get one of these wigs from HLJ, ( http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/product_s/OBT04589 ) but it says its for obitsu dolls, Can I still swap the wig with the one I'm planning to get? If I get a wig, what size should it be? The descriptions for each wig in the shop describes its length in cm, If its a medium, small, or large and it's head size in cm. I want to know which one to get my the doll I'm getting.... oTL;

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki

Post by Shiaoran » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Well, it's obvious that 1/6 dolls are cheaper than 1/3 ones, you don't compare them, it's like comparing a kid's electric car with a real electric car :P

Azone uses Obitsu bodies.

I don't know much about wigs, but you should first check if the doll you're buying has a wig or fixed hair, then you check the head size (circumference).

arhra
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 38
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altines

Post by arhra » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:47 am

Azone's 1/6 scale dolls use their own PureNeemo bodies, and have rooted hair (so no wig swapping). Not sure what they're like in terms of compatibility with obitsu heads or whatever, but if you're going that far you might as well build your own from scratch using a blank obitsu body or something.

They're nice enough (and a heck of a lot cheaper), but don't really compare to a 1/3 scale (or even a 1/6 obitsu body). A good option for just dipping your toes in the doll-buying water, though (buying a few was, for me, enough to convince me that I'd love a 1/3 scale... but not at current exchange rates).

DurpyDoll
Class B Shinki

Post by DurpyDoll » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:26 pm

arhra wrote:Azone's 1/6 scale dolls use their own PureNeemo bodies, and have rooted hair (so no wig swapping). Not sure what they're like in terms of compatibility with obitsu heads or whatever, but if you're going that far you might as well build your own from scratch using a blank obitsu body or something.

They're nice enough (and a heck of a lot cheaper), but don't really compare to a 1/3 scale (or even a 1/6 obitsu body). A good option for just dipping your toes in the doll-buying water, though (buying a few was, for me, enough to convince me that I'd love a 1/3 scale... but not at current exchange rates).
Thanks so much for letting me know! :nanner: I'm thinking about just swapping heads then with another head with a wig... Or just checking out the other dolls... A lot of them don't have really short hair. :(

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki

Post by Shiaoran » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:57 pm

arhra wrote:Azone's 1/6 scale dolls use their own PureNeemo bodies, and have rooted hair (so no wig swapping). Not sure what they're like in terms of compatibility with obitsu heads or whatever, but if you're going that far you might as well build your own from scratch using a blank obitsu body or something.
Pureneemo uses Pureneemo bodies. 1/6 Hybrid Active Figures uses Obitsu bodies. Not sure about 1/3 HAFs.

I don't recommend going with a blank body, you'd have to paint the face (eyebrows, eyelashes/shadow/liner, blush and mouth). Not something for a newbie (or someone who doesn't want to screw up a brand new head) to do.
I suggest finding a nice head, regardless of clothes and chest size, and ordering new clothes and chest if you want. Find a character you like or at least know and could get used to, or has a look that matches some of your moe points.
As for wanting short hair, the wigs are sold with long hair so you can make your own haircut. But if you want even longer hair, then it's complicated and will probably not look very nice (people use extensions).

otakusan
Class C Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Yda

Post by otakusan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Do LOTS of reseach before getting into dolls... it's a whole new level of deep dark hole. Look at lots of pictures and narrow down what you really want, then go looking for prices... there are TONS of options/types/variations out there, don't get stuck with a thousand dollar piece that's not what you really wanted.

Another thing with dolls is... (like shinki's), once released, your chances of being able to get one at MSRP is impossible. Mandarake will have listing of older releases, while your other choices are online shops, ebay, yahoo auction Japan.

Azone 1/6 usually go for about $150US new, and they come in both original and anime characters.

Azone 1/3 start at about $350 for really basic models, also comes in both original and anime characters...

Volks Dollfie starts at $450 for basic production models, and $900 for limited models (which usually is a lotto system to buy new during release).

Volks SuperDollfie starts at about $1000.

But the thing about dolls... they are very high maintenance, options parts, clothes, accessories, frame upgrades, they are all very expensive.. and worst part of all, very limited supply.

If you do end up start, best of luck, it may be pricy, but a fun hobby for sure :benio:

OH... one last thing I forgot to add... if you can buy a full set of something you want, buy it as a full set, splitting the purchase up into pieces will always run you at least twice as much money.

Moon Lightning
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Light Armor Shinkis

Post by Moon Lightning » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:24 am

(Lets see if this comment actually posts so others can read it. So far i've been posting and nada. Kinda lonely.)
Another option is to get a bjd. These are resin and string with elastic. I know a few companies that are of good quality and inexpensive. My first doll is a Bobobie.com Sprite. She cost me $150ish. Other companies are Impldoll, Mirodoll, and Resinsoul to start off with. Fairyland makes amazing dolls but they will be a bit more expensive. Though they do pose amazingly. A good forum for bjds would be Denofangels.com. You could find a good doll second hand there. Though they have a post count rule to meet before you get access to the buy and sale forum. I hope that helps. I've been neck deep in the doll hobby for years. Lol