Talk about other toys we collect.
OHWceta
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 9
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Masurao

Re: bionicle

Post by OHWceta » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:32 pm

The ending seemed a bit rushed though unfortunately. And the final battle of Mata Nui vs. Makuta wasn't as good as it should have been. They should have gone out with a movie. Mask of light was great, I think they just wasted their CGI budget with the other 3 films. Then again that's what you get when you base a story around selling toys.

I think they should have done more with the Glatorian. While the main line of Bionicle was story based and had a much more set cast of characters. The whole "Tournament Fighting Game" was just screaming for a more Custom approach to things. They had those 'point counter' things anyways so why not take it a step further? Release booster sets and basic body packs and extra armor, helmet, and weapon sets and assign them different point values and have a 'battle game' for kids to play their custom Glatorian against each other.
Ha, they never had this wierd problem with bionicle.
If you're talking about the Fire guy underwater....if you remember the Toa Mahri, Jaller was among them. Though everyone was underwater so it's not like they place the wrong one in the wrong place.

Another interesting thing in the latest Hero factory lines. The bags are re-sealable.....What, are they gonna go bad if we dont seal them properly? lol
Like to RP? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome. If we don't have something you like feel free to add it.

http://roleplayparadiseii.forumotion.com/forum.htm

rubixbox
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 4
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: You mean owned or..?

Post by rubixbox » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:08 am

Joeyz1231 wrote:Bionicle had those awesome mystic feeling and unique names. they were also the 1st toys to exclusively ball-socket joints instead of bricks, although the quality control sucks now. the new sockets tend to break very easily, limiting your creativity to combine stuff. such a shame. :sad:
Which new sockets? The socket joints from '08-'10, or the new reinforced socket joints that Hero Factory uses?

If you mean the former, then yeah, the socket joints took a horrifying turn during Bionicle's final years.
star wrote:why is the blue one( i didn't bother to learn names of heros) on land and the red on underwater? thats so strange
I might still do this, but I had an idea for a short story where Furno goes after Jawblade, and there was a reason for why the fire-themed character fought the shark monster.
Another interesting thing in the latest Hero factory lines. The bags are re-sealable.....What, are they gonna go bad if we dont seal them properly? lol
My theory is that Lego has noted how popular the Mega Bloks Halo blind-packs are, and decided to get in on the action with their own bagged figures. Either that, or bags cost less to make than canisters.

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Post by Klinkin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:00 am

rubixbox wrote:
Joeyz1231 wrote:Bionicle had those awesome mystic feeling and unique names. they were also the 1st toys to exclusively ball-socket joints instead of bricks, although the quality control sucks now. the new sockets tend to break very easily, limiting your creativity to combine stuff. such a shame. :sad:
Which new sockets? The socket joints from '08-'10, or the new reinforced socket joints that Hero Factory uses?

If you mean the former, then yeah, the socket joints took a horrifying turn during Bionicle's final years.
Those are the ones. Can't use them without having them break half the time. I'm pretty sure that the problem's two-fold; around the time the socket design changed, I think LEGO changed the plastic they use for something more fragile (also around the time they shifted production to Mexico). I haven't had any experience with the newer Hero Factory joints; are they better?

rubixbox
Class S Shinki

Post by rubixbox » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Klinkin wrote:Those are the ones. Can't use them without having them break half the time. I'm pretty sure that the problem's two-fold; around the time the socket design changed, I think LEGO changed the plastic they use for something more fragile (also around the time they shifted production to Mexico). I haven't had any experience with the newer Hero Factory joints; are they better?
Much better. The socket pieces are reinforced so that they don't break. In addition, the ball joints on the Hero Factory limbs are a bit smaller.

Canthros
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Canthros » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:07 pm

rubixbox wrote: My theory is that Lego has noted how popular the Mega Bloks Halo blind-packs are, and decided to get in on the action with their own bagged figures. Either that, or bags cost less to make than canisters.
I think Lego started selling blind-packed minifigs at about the same time or slightly before Mega Bloks blind-packs started appearing. Regardless, the Lego company has been selling bagged sets for at least a couple of decades--I got a few that way when I was a sprout--they've just tended to be smaller sets in the past. It's almost certainly a cost-saving issue.

OHWceta
Class S Shinki

Post by OHWceta » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 pm

But the Hero factory ones are re-sealable, like Ziploc bags.
Like to RP? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome. If we don't have something you like feel free to add it.

star
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Ianeira

Post by star » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:14 pm

i much prefered the canisters, they were soo cool and i used to use them to built forts for the bionicle when i was a kid, they stacked so nicely! The best canisters were the ones those ball one were in, they could turn into balls and clip to the roof of the canister, also the back sticker peeled off so they looked like they were in some sort of hibernation tanks, i foget the name but the head was a mask type thing under a thin layer of clear plastic and the necks would extend and thrust the head into the enemy/toa LOL they were truly an amazing line

rubixbox
Class S Shinki

Post by rubixbox » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:25 pm

star wrote:i much prefered the canisters, they were soo cool and i used to use them to built forts for the bionicle when i was a kid, they stacked so nicely! The best canisters were the ones those ball one were in, they could turn into balls and clip to the roof of the canister, also the back sticker peeled off so they looked like they were in some sort of hibernation tanks, i foget the name but the head was a mask type thing under a thin layer of clear plastic and the necks would extend and thrust the head into the enemy/toa LOL they were truly an amazing line
Ah, yes, the Bohrok canisters. I remember those....it was neat how the figures could be clipped into the containers like a cocoon.

What I think is interesting is how some of the canisters figure into the BIONICLE universe: The original Toa Mata canisters were used by the Toa to reach Mata Nui, while the tops of the canisters were used in-story to store their extra masks; the Bohrok's and Rahkshi's canisters actually were hibernation tanks; and the tops of the Metru canisters could be put together to create the stasis pods used by Makuta Teridax in Legends of Metru Nui. Even Hero Factory does this; the canisters used in the original three waves were supposed to be some sort of drop pod.

OHWceta
Class S Shinki

Post by OHWceta » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Those were the Bohrok, Season 2 and the Bohrok Kal Season 3 of Bionicle.

I liked the very first ones because you could plug in all your masks into the pegs around the top of the canister and the golden masks on the center face.

OHWceta
Class S Shinki

Post by OHWceta » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm thinking about making giant sized Toa as a Tribute, make the Stars how it should have been, making new versions of the Toa aboat as big as the Large Mata Nui they made during the Glatorian series.

Should I make them completely out of technic parts or should I use lego bricks?

If I get around to it I might even make a giant sized Mata Nui in his original body. As a hint to how big of an undertaking this will be, I plan for the forearm to be about the width and depth of the Toa Terrain crawler set. (Adjusting length to keep it proportional). The set might even open up to allow the minifigures to ride inside, as well as maybe a few additional gimmicks for more fun.