Chipotle
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Valona

Scarlet Weather Rhapsody - Tournament

Post by Chipotle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Hello all! Chip here~

Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is the latest (though it's been out for a year) Touhou 1-vs-1 fighting game from Tasofro, where projectiles are everywhere. Choose from one of 15 girls, and let the lasers fly!! It is for PC; some flavor of Windows will do. You'll need DirectX 9; you will not need DirectX 10.

So, it seems a bunch of us cbox users play SWR, and enjoy a match or two with other players. If enough of us start playing (maybe 8), we can have a little tournament~ Let's hope participation doesn't die like it did for Domo.

There are no "pro" players here; we're all relatively newbie. Make yourself at home~ <3

If you're looking for casual SWR matches, flag one of the professed players; Sword, Solcat, or myself, Chipotle. *^__^*

がんばってね!

-----

What is Scarlet Weather Rhapsody?

It's a 1-vs-1 fighting game. Be the first to knock your opponent out twice!!

There are melee attacks, like punches and sword swings. You can block these, in the air or on the ground.

There are bullet attacks, like lightning bolts and fireballs. You can graze these, by dashing through them.

There are Spellcards, which flood the screen with lasers and other dangerous things (like subway cars, I kid you not).

You have a deck of 20 cards, which you build before the fight. If you fight for a while, you'll draw a card from your deck. Cards can do various things, like change your special moves or heal your HP. Some summon Spellcard attacks. *grin*

The battlefield is affected by weather. It changes randomly over time, and adds twists to gameplay. For instance, Heavy Fog allows you to steal life from your opponent if you connect with melee attacks.

-----

Getting Started

Sample gameplay on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OrDfbZLYGM

Patches are here: (we're using 1.06, the latest atm; you only need to download one patch)
http://www.tasofro.net/touhou105/download.html

Scarlet Weather Rhapsody Wiki is here:
http://swr.mizuumi.net/index.php/Main_Page

Getting the game:
http://www.freakinghugeurl.com/refer.ph ... NsRldSRUU1

The attachment is a replay file. If you unzip it, move the file inside the Replay folder in the SWR game folder. You have to be using 1.06 to read the replay; earlier versions and later versions will not play it.
Attachments
0415_2113_sakuya_udonge.zip
First match with Sword. See how ditzy Reisen was? That was me!! x3
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Last edited by Chipotle on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sword
Battle Rondo Edification Officer
Shinkis owned: 25
MMS owned: 6
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Fubuki

Re: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody - Tournament

Post by Sword » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:03 pm

I'm up for a tourney ^.^

I'll need practice tho. And i need to pick a main chara. Sakuya.. wasn't all that :vitulus:

Chipotle
MMS Naked

Post by Chipotle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:49 pm

mmm, I'll probably need to pick a character too. Reimu and Yuyuko are... totally broken in my hands. I just don't feel right using them...

It'll likely be Alice for me. Or Komachi. Or Reisen. Or Sakuya. Or...

The point should be decided eventually: will we have to stick to one character for the entire tournament? I lean towards "yes", but I don't have any reasons for saying "no".

Also, have a Suika Lunatic Story Replay for v1.06 (it's only 3 enemies long)~
http://lycee.omoshiroi.info/t/1005_1156_suika_story.rep

Sword

Post by Sword » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:37 am

Just follow common fighting game rule - You can pick whatever you want, but on subsequent bouts against the same player (If we're doing 2 out of 3 per round or some such) you can ony switch when you lose.
A case could also be made for allowing any switching- Just leave it up to the other player to learn to deal with it.

.. Anyway, lots of people play many or all characters. Nothing wrong with that (if it suits your style of play).

Xerain
Class C Shinki
Shinkis owned: 12
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Maochao

Post by Xerain » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:23 am

You can flag me as intent to play. I have a collection of touhou games, but I haven't really touched any of the fighters yet. I tried IamP a little bit, but was having trouble pulling off specials consistently. It wants me to do a 1/8 rotation of a non existent joystick? Seriously?

Is SWR any better in terms of being able to move beyond focusing on just pulling off moves in the first place and onto focusing in strategy? Because that has always been what barred me from enjoying fighting games competitively.

HarukaYuki
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 123
MMS owned: 10
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Fort Bragg

Post by HarukaYuki » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:20 am

Ahh! Chip's Avatar is even more moefilled in big size!

Xehn
Kamen Adminder
Shinkis owned: 33
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio

Post by Xehn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:14 am

*gives it a shot*

Sword

Post by Sword » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:36 am

Xerain wrote:You can flag me as intent to play. I have a collection of touhou games, but I haven't really touched any of the fighters yet. I tried IamP a little bit, but was having trouble pulling off specials consistently. It wants me to do a 1/8 rotation of a non existent joystick? Seriously?

Is SWR any better in terms of being able to move beyond focusing on just pulling off moves in the first place and onto focusing in strategy? Because that has always been what barred me from enjoying fighting games competitively.
The timing on .. uh.. everything is far less strict, apparently. That should help.
Execution-wise, it's one of the easiest if not the easiest fighter i've played. Which i find very much agrees with my lack of skill in pulling of combo's on normal fighting games.

That said, quarter-circles and dragon punch motions are still in there. It varies by character how much you'll need them, though.

Xehn
Kamen Adminder
Shinkis owned: 33
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Partio

Post by Xehn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Some replays against AV.
Replay.rar
(7.58 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

Chipotle
MMS Naked

Post by Chipotle » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:37 pm

. . . Haruka is absolutely stunning with Signum-sama!!

Xerain: Pulling off moves is definitely easier. There's none of this "Declare Spellcard Mode before you can do supers" stuff. You just press one button to shoot off huge things. Like Masterspark.

But, you've gotta learn quarter-circles for the regular stuff at least. It's not hard, do this:
Press and hold Down. Press and hold Right. Release Down. Release Right. Press the attack key. Presto!!
(If you take longer than a quarter-second, you'll have to press faster...)